PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Bookworm's Thread 2016

Options

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mumps wrote: »
    Did you watch the Ken Stott ones? Were they any good? I really like Ken Stott so not sure why I have never seen them.

Yes, excellent.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    grunnie wrote: »
    Got a coupon for Ann Cleeves book The Moth Catcher for half price at WH Smiths and while there if you bought the Daily Express you got Peter May's the Lewis Man for £1. They have a different book every week on offer for £1 with this paper.

Is there a coupon in the Express? Is it all week or one particular day please?
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This thread is fascinating.

I like to read Elizabeth Peters and Barbara Michaels who are one and the same. Phil Rickman's Merrily Watkins series, vintage crime by Ngaio Marsh, Margery Allingham's Campion series, Dorothy Sayers. So mainly cosy crime. I also like Mary Stewart, my favourite book being My Brother Michael.

I haven't come across anyone with similar tastes....anyone out there?

I don't think that Dorothy L Sayer's books are particularly cosy. They're not generally as bloody as current thrillers but she has serial killers in them and covers big issues like feminism, marriage,class, PTSD, drug use and intellectual integrity and are generally years ahead of their time.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there a coupon in the Express? Is it all week or one particular day please?
    The half price coupon was from The Sunday Express. I just noticed the stand with the books saying £1 when you buy the Daily Express. They said there was a different book every week so hope I get to a WH Smith's next week. So no coupon needed for it and you could buy it any day with the Express.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 20 January 2016 at 9:21PM
    Options

I like to read Elizabeth Peters and Barbara Michaels who are one and the same. Phil Rickman's Merrily Watkins series, vintage crime by Ngaio Marsh, Margery Allingham's Campion series, Dorothy Sayers. So mainly cosy crime. I also like Mary Stewart, my favourite book being My Brother Michael.

Gintotmelinda
    Many years ago I was an avid reader of everything Dorothy L Sayers and Ngaio Marsh wrote but I've recently re-read Ngaio Marsh's A Clutch of Constables and didn't enjoy it at all. It seemed so dated somehow.

I've been given a couple of books by Edmund Crispin, a writer I've never read before, so might start The Moving Toyshop soon.

Have you ever read anything by J.I.M. Stewart (who also wrote under the name of Michael Innes)? Well-heeled characters, Christ Church College in Oxford setting for at least one of them if I recall correctly. The language can be a bit dense and convoluted but there are lots of ironic and light touches. I used to devour them. Lots of French and Latin quotes though, I was frequently looking things up:o
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm another who preferred Ken Stott's 'Rebus'.
    I also prefer Stuart McBride's stories.

Anyway, I'm getting on with my reading challenge; on my 4th book. Here's my update.

Book 2: (a book set in your home state) The Bird That Did Not Sing ~ Alex Gray: set in Glasgow around time of Commonwealth Games. An easy read, but I won't rush to get another of hers although I'd still read one if it was about, iyswim.

Book 3: ( a book based on a fairy tale) The Fairy Godmother ~ Mercedes Lackey I wasn't looking forward to reading this as fantasy is not my thing, however it was an enjoyable bit of 'fluff' reading - we all need that from time to time. I might even read another!

Book 4: (a book recommended by a family member) The Versions of Us ~ Laura Barnett: a 'Sliding Doors' variant, with 3 alternatives; started today and I think this might get confusing! It occurs to me that, as some incidents are duplicated in the different versions, the author had less to make up, lol, to fill the pages!

Apart from the challenge, for a little more 'fluff', I ordered a collection of MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin books (20 for £15- it would have been rude not to after all!).

Off to put my nose in a book.
    Sewing 83/COLOR]Woollies 9Card s 47Reading 23/40
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Options

I enjoy Barbara Michaels books and I LOVE Phil Rickman books, especially the Merrily Watkins series but also his 'stand alone' novels.
    Normal people worry me.
  • Gintotmelinda
    Options
    Hi guys glad to find some kindred spirits.
    Miss biggles1 yes of course you're quite right about Dorothy Sayers.

Carbootcrazy-I still like Ngaio Marsh but they are dated.....

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options

I read all those authors although I prefer the Barbara Michaels books to the Elizabeth Peters. Have you read Jill Paton Walsh's Lord Peter Wimsey novels? I like them and her Imogen Quy novels.
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    I read all those authors although I prefer the Barbara Michaels books to the Elizabeth Peters. Have you read Jill Paton Walsh's Lord Peter Wimsey novels? I like them and her Imogen Quy novels.

Whilst on the subject of thrillers, I seem to have united my bookgroup ( no mean feat!) with my January choice of PJ Tracy's "Want to Play?". I decided to choose an easy (if bloody) read for over Christmas and everybody enjoyed it - I even have them queuing up to read the rest of the series.

Given that we're a pretty disparate group, hopefully many people on here might enjoy it as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport