PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Bookworm's Thread 2016

Options

Comments

• CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    It's strange how our tastes change. In the 80's I read a lot of Danielle Steel - I tried a recent book, and thought it was soppy mush - what was I thinking of back in the day![/QUOTE]

Stumbled across this thread which is right up my street.
    OMG Goldie Girl, I can so identify with you on Danielle Steel. My late mum got me reading her and I carried on reading her after mum passed away as a way of staying connected to her. Only thing was I got fed up of similar storyline and as JackieO says ...too many books so little time and so after 20+ years I gave up.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Evening all

Have been reading but not doing much posting. :o

Today started to listen to Richard Dawkin's autobiography on audio book - given to me by a friend. May try to find the book in a library or CS. I was listening to it while in the bath and while cooking tea. I am sorry to say, and I am up to Chapter 3, that I found it a crushingly boring book - which should have been so interesting as he was bought up in the colonies doing things like playing with lion cubs. But it is written like a list of events and a list of the privileged people and relatives he had/knew who all went to Oxford et al! I dont know if this is due to extreme editing for the audio book or if the actual book is like this and I am anxious to compare the 2.

Has anyone else read it? Its got a fab title 'An appetite for Wonder' What did you think? :A

Anyhoo am off to read my considerably more low brow but v entertaining 'Flying Under Bridges' by Sandi Totsvig before sleep time! :D
    Night all!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • lollyfin
    lollyfin Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    I went to the library yesterday and have got a couple of books by authors I haven't read before so am looking forward to starting them.
    The Hawley book of the dead by Chrysler Szarlan
    Thief's Magic by Trudi Canavan
    I ordered the second in the kingkiller chronicles as well and as I was talking to the librarian she told me about another series of books she thought I might like. I honestly can't remember the name of it now but it's the books the Outlaw series on Amazon is based on, she did say it's like the Game of Thrones series, in the TV series they are at it like rabbits but the books aren't like that so she's ordered me the first one in that series as well.
    konMarie and fabbing all the way
    Weight loss challenge starting 11st loss in November 4lb
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 20 January 2016 at 10:51AM
    Options
    I managed to get a couple of Ian Rankin books when I went to the library. They are from the Rebus series but not the first books. I really enjoyed the books but I have to say I have never worked with a D.I. who got into so much trouble with both the force and the criminals.

I loved the details about Edinburgh, I've always fancied going to the Edinburgh Festival and one book, I think it was Let it Bleed, was set during the festival. I also found out about buried streets under the city, medieval streets that were just built over and that you can visit if you book a tour. The other book was about the oil industry and I know alot more about that now as well.

Apart from having to accept that he gets beaten up alot, threatened with being suspended on a regular basis and seems to have nothing much in his life other than police work (I never met anyone quite so dedicated) my other problem was names. I am hopeless with names and there are lots of names in the books and sometimes people are referred to be their surname, sometimes their first name and sometimes by nicknames. It was a great work out for my memory!

I liked Rebus, he seemed very human, not the sort of pseudo superhero you sometimes get in a crime book. I like Ken Stott who played him on television, I have never seen it but in my head I really could see and hear Ken Stott so I think he must have been great casting.

Reading a Michael Connelly book at the moment (The Lincoln Lawyer) book 8 of the new year.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Options
    Just started "The Taxidermists Daughter" by Kate Mosse and I'm not sure I'm going to get on with it.
    Anyone read it?
    Mumps: I prefer Stuart McBride books for Scottish detectives - set in Aberdeen usually though, not Edinburgh (and quite grisly but with humour as well).
    Normal people worry me.
  • mumps
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Just started "The Taxidermists Daughter" by Kate Mosse and I'm not sure I'm going to get on with it.
    Anyone read it?
    Mumps: I prefer Stuart McBride books for Scottish detectives - set in Aberdeen usually though, not Edinburgh (and quite grisly but with humour as well).

I was thinking of trying one of his on my next visit to the library.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • savingpennies
    Options
    AliBee16 wrote: »
    I'll be interested to see everyone's recommendations on this thread. I have already downloaded The Wolves of London to my kindle. I am doing an Eng Lit degree so it it is quite obvious I love books, and all genres except Chick Lit. In between reading Moliere's Tartuffe and Hamlet for my course I have enjoyed The Handmaids's Tale by Margaret Attwood, though it shows it's 70's feminist vibe and Child 44 which is a near perfect crime novel, in the last month or so. I started The Bone Clocks but gave up because I needed more explanation of the fantasy sequences to keep up my interest. Might try again though

I'm beginning to see what you mean AliBee, I've started to read The Bone Clocks and I'm wondering what is going on. I took it the hairdressers with me yesterday and the hairdresser even said I didn't look like I was enjoying it. I think I need to read more to 'adjust' to the story. I hate being beaten by a book so will persevere for now.
    I must say the last book I read that I couldn't get into initially but did finish, was The Goldfinch, which I felt could have done with a spot of editing at times and the final section I thought was indulgent but I liked the rest of it. Several of my friends raved about it.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mumps wrote: »

I liked Rebus, he seemed very human, not the sort of pseudo superhero you sometimes get in a crime book. I like Ken Stott who played him on television, I have never seen it but in my head I really could see and hear Ken Stott so I think he must have been great casting.

The original actor playing Rebus on TV was John Hannah who I like a lot but just wasn't my idea of Rebus from reading a few of the books;).
  • mumps
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    The original actor playing Rebus on TV was John Hannah who I like a lot but just wasn't my idea of Rebus from reading a few of the books;).

No I don't think John Hannah would be my idea of Rebus, Ken Stott definitely fitted more with my image.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • savingpennies
    Options
    I almost forgot to mention. For those of you who like e-readers, have you found Bookbub? It trawls the e-book sellers for free books or 99p books and sends you information about what is available.
    "Looking for free ebooks? BookBub features limited-time offers for the best free books in over twenty genres, from both top-tier publishers and critically-acclaimed independent authors. These free ebooks are available on all devices, including Kindle, Nook, iPad, and Android. Check out some of our current selections:"

You can tell them what kinds of books you like and they will create selections based on your preferences.

https://www.bookbub.com/ebook-deals/free-ebooks
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business