Smartprice/Value Cooking Bacon - Bargain !!

Options
Does anyone buy this instead of the expensive Bacon? it's really cheap.

I don't see a difference.. it all comes from same Pig and it isn't like you can get any better quality a pig is a pig.. yeah it isn't in streaks but who cares? all goes down the same way..

Very cheap, and you sometimes get smoky bacon in it.. I've done it for years and saves ££££

It is a bit more hassle but that Benidorm holiday in the summer will help compensate ! :D

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,900 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 January 2016 at 2:39PM
    Options
    Bongo567 wrote: »

No because I don't like cooking with loads of water coming out of it so I only buy dry cured bacon.

Not sure why you think that you can't get better quality? Yes you can.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • peewhyeff
    peewhyeff Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I too buy tesco cooking misshapes, as and when its available. It was missing for months last year but re-appeared around November. I'm delighted when its rashers, even better when its also smoked, but its a bit hit and miss.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I get it from Lidl sometimes, it depends what I am using it for.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

I don't see a difference.. it all comes from same Pig and it isn't like you can get any better quality a pig is a pig.. yeah it isn't in streaks but who cares? all goes down the same way..

That is like saying that Pork scratchings are the same as pork chops because they come from the same pig
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hate/avoid all bacon, ham, other salty/nasty tasting meat from pigs.

Had roast pork once when I was about 8 .... the fat, the crispy skin and the hairs on the skin put me off that too.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

A lot of cheap bacon has added water which causes the white stuff (protein) to come out when cooking http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/telegraph-view/8284711/Save-our-bacon.html

Also better quality pigs can lead to better quality meat. The slower the meat is grown the more tender it will be.

Not going to knock you if you can't taste the difference, but not all bacon comes from the same pig and not all bacon is prepared in the same way.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 January 2016 at 8:32PM
    Options
    jon81uk wrote: »
    A lot of cheap bacon has added water which causes the white stuff (protein) to come out when cooking http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/telegraph-view/8284711/Save-our-bacon.html

Also better quality pigs can lead to better quality meat. The slower the meat is grown the more tender it will be.

Not going to knock you if you can't taste the difference, but not all bacon comes from the same pig and not all bacon is prepared in the same way.

I agree with this, TBH most cheaper normal bog standard bacon is as the OP says pretty much the same so if you go cheap you might as well go for the smart price stuff. But we prefer to eat less but much better quality meat and also there are issues around animal welfare.

Most really cheap bacon is from the EU-highly likely Danish bacon and the welfare standards for their pigs aren't as good as even the lowest standards in the UK and for us.

We prefer free range or at least much higher welfare. BUT we live in a semi rural area and have friends who farm or keep animals, we have chickens and help out with animals kept on others land for us. So to us the welfare is more important. Plus we get the high quality for alot cheaper eg. have a freezer of lovely FR lamb that only cost us some time and £60. We also have local farm shops that are the proper farm shops where you get local produce, high welfare etc cheaper as opposed to the "farm shops" that are full of fancy overpriced stuff aimed at the middle classes.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• vlad
    vlad Posts: 544 Forumite
    Options
    To my eternal shame I can't say I have ever given a seconds thought to animal welfare, for us its price, price and erm price. But the savings all go to paying the butler and our daily who does.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The cheap bacon offcuts, particularly if in chunks of smoked thick steaks, are really good for so many cooked dishes, and if you haven't tried them you simply don't know how their taste compares. We regularly add it to pies, use it as lardons, and sometimes get the electric slicer out to create thin rashers. It's about £1.59 for 900 grams. Brilliant!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options

I think you have misread that article. It states that "supermarkets have been rapped over their corporate knuckles for putting too much water in the bacon they sell". Not cheap bacon, but bacon.

The article below based on Which? research shows that, for example Morrisons cheap bacon contained less water than Morrisons bacon, and that Tesco cheap bacon contained less water than Tesco bacon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1350926/Supermarket-bacon-pumped-water.html

The issue with wet curing bacon, isn't so much wet curing as such, as the fact that a lot of bacon is wet cured using an injection process, because it's faster and plumps the meat up. There is obviously a financial incentive to inject more water into premium bacon because the returns are that much higher.
    ...Also better quality pigs can lead to better quality meat. The slower the meat is grown the more tender it will be.

Yes, but the difference between a lot of foods is often purely cosmetic. All those little perfect rashers get packed in their black plastic boxes, whilst all the offcuts and miscuts that don't quite make the same grade get shrinkwrapped as cooking bacon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure