Prescription Penalty Charge - Working tax credit

Options
Hi everybody, I think I have this sorted now but thought this might help some other people who get the same letter through this month.
I'm entitled to a very small amount of working+child tax credit which we get along with the prescription exemption card.
Bit of background I haven't had a card since October last year but I rang them when the last one exprired and they said If there had been no changes to my circumstances I was still entitled and to carry on using the old one and its number until a new one was eventually sent out.
This morning I got a £49.20 penalty charge from NHS business services saying I had claimed a free prescription when not entitled.
I rang them and they said they could see that I was entitled to exemption from April 2015 to October but they had no record after that and I needed to ring HMRC to get a letter from them.
Spoke to HMRC and it turns out that the system has automatically entered an estimated income figure in October which pushes us over the £15270 mark so we wouldn't be entitled any more, I don't quite understand this as we haven't had any letters and the amount we receive in working tax credit hasn't changed and surely it would have done.
Anyway as I'm self employed (and earnings are weather and health dependent) and can't give them an actual figure till I've done my tax return in April they eventually reduced my estimated income back down again to make us eligible again and they are sending a letter out I can forward on stating we are entitled.
Its taken me about an hour on the phone to sort out.

Hope this post is of some use to other people

Comments

• Disney_lover_2
    Options
    Thanks for this I'm going to have to ring them again cause my exemption certificate ran out last October as well & I still haven't received a new one even though nothing has changed with my circumstances or salary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure