🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

CPP Refusing to Reissue Check

Options
Hi
I wondered if anyone can help with this. I recently received some mail from an old address which included a check from CPP for £227. The check was issued in June 2014 therefore the bank most likely won't accept it. I've written to CPP and they have stated that in accordance with the terms of the Scheme, any check over 6 months old that is not cashed will be cancelled and any compensation under the scheme will expire.
I'm not hopeful but I just wondered if there was anything more I can do in relation to this.
Thanks for the help to a newbie, Katie

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    fairykate3 wrote: »
    The check was issued in June 2014 therefore the bank most likely won't accept it.
    Why haven't you tried to cash the cheque already?
    If your bank does refuse it, you have indeed left it too late just as you have been told .
  • safestored4
    Options
    Did you pay the nominal fee to have your mail redirected for a period after you changed address? If not you have only yourself to blame.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    I am going to disagree with the other posters.

If the cheque was incorrectly sent to the old address, the OP has the right to complain about that and ask that it is reissued. If CPP refuses, then they can take it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

There is no guarantee that this will work but it will not cost the OP to try.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 5 January 2016 at 11:55PM
    Options
    If the cheque was incorrectly sent to the old address, the OP has the right to complain about that
    It doesn't sound as if it was "incorrectly" sent to the old address, it sounds as if the OP didn't update personal details when vacating the former abode.

Regardless, the poster concerned can certainly try the Ombudsman...
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It doesn't sound as if it was "incorrectly" sent to the old address, it sounds as if the OP didn't update his personal details when he moved.

Regardless, he can certainly try the Ombudsman...
    He is called
    fairykate3 wrote: »
    Katie
    :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    He is called Katie
    Don't you know forum etiquette requires ALL posters to be referred to as "He" regardless of their user name?

How come you assume my sex to be male? :p
  • saving_junky
    Options
    If they're not prepared to reissue the cheque, then simply tell them that you will be resubmitting a claim against them for missold PPI. Just because this claim has expired, and you did not cash the cheque, due to it being sent to the incorrect address, only means that the compensation under this claim has expired, I'm pretty sure that you can make a further claim. In the same way that I'm pretty sure if you were offered compensation, and accepted it in good faith that the bank had fully met it's legal requirements of adequetely compensating you, and subsequently found that the compensation they offered you was bunkum, you have the right to claim further compensation. I may be wrong, but don't be put off, they may be telling you the "truth" as in under the scheme any compensation may expire after 6 months, perfectly legally, however, they may also be missing the "full" truth, in that I can't imagine that you cannot then make another claim for compensation.
  • saving_junky
    Options
    Also really quick call to the financial ombudsmen could completely clarify for you whether or not you're out of luck. I phoned them and they're incredibly helpful. You don't have to log a complaint against the organisation etc, you can phone them just for advice. I think mine took about 5 mins (from dialing to being off the phone).
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 7 January 2016 at 12:47AM
    Options
    If they're not prepared to reissue the cheque, then simply tell them that you will be resubmitting a claim against them for missold PPI.
    The CPP refund scheme was wound up almost eighteen months ago.
    Since CPP was an insurance against the loss of credit cards etc, it is NOT PPI.
    I'm pretty sure that you can make a further claim.
    No.
    I may be wrong
    Certainly are.
    Also really quick call to the financial ombudsmen could completely clarify for you whether or not you're out of luck.
    The OP has already contacted CPP to have the position clarified. FOS cannot change the fact that the refund scheme was wound up and that out-of-date cheques are not honoured.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The OP has already contacted CPP to have the position clarified. FOS cannot change the fact that the refund scheme was wound up and that out-of-date cheques are not honoured.
    No but if they sent it to the wrong address FOS may decide it can reopen the matter.

There were a number of cases during your - er - sabbatical involving CPP sending cheques to wrong addresses so they seem to have some form in this respect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport