CCA help

Options

Comments

• January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When did Mbna sell the debt on January ?

This month - immediately after I CCA'd them :(
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,902 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Debt is an interesting subject, not many people understand it, few are aware of there rights, most people worry over things that will never happen.
    I've leant a lot from this, and other forums, over the years, people panic because they are faced with missing a couple of payments, and are worried about the consequences, well in reality, it depends on your individual situation.

If you are an unemployed person who does not own a house, then you can get away with any amount of debt Scott free.
    The absolute worst a creditor can do is bankrupt you, but you have no income so no point in doing that, next,

If your a homeowner, then you would ultimately face the loss of this property, if you were not a homeowner, the absolute worst a creditor could do would be to obtain a CCJ. And an attatchment of earnings order, in other words, repay your debt at a rate you can afford.

So really it depends on your individual circumstances how debt affects you, whereas it can ruin some people, others can be untouched by it, no rhyme or reason is there !!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sourcrates - am I right in thinking {believing ;) } that if a predator or DCA cannot produce documentation under CCA request the debt is unenforceable - which doesn't mean it is not owed, but cannot be enforced.

Does this then mean that whilst a predator or DCA may opt for court action to recover the debt the lack of CCA documentation means they will not be able to obtain a CCJ and if they decide to try for a CCJ the lack of CCA would be the defence??
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    The letter of the law, and the interpretation if it in the High Courts, is that while in default of a s77-9 request, a court cannot make an order enforcing the debt.

Does not mean DCAs sometimes don't try. Does not mean that sometimes you get a clueless judge that lets them.

However, if you get advice and help to fight, you stand a damn good chance of stopping it.

Nothing is guaranteed 100% though. Like most things in life. Sometimes odd things happen like the DCA finally drags up a copy a few days before a court hearing.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • sourcrates
    edited 22 January 2016 at 11:06PM
    Options
    Sourcrates - am I right in thinking {believing ;) } that if a predator or DCA cannot produce documentation under CCA request the debt is unenforceable - which doesn't mean it is not owed, but cannot be enforced.

Does this then mean that whilst a predator or DCA may opt for court action to recover the debt the lack of CCA documentation means they will not be able to obtain a CCJ and if they decide to try for a CCJ the lack of CCA would be the defence??

Basically yes.

If you make a CCA request, and they either don't respond, or send you something illegible, or something else that is not a correct response, then proceed to take you to court, the fact they have not responded correctly can still make an account irredeemably unenforcable, and that is a full defence yes !!!

Or as Fermi Says there can always be an exception to the rule !!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Little_Miss_Sunshine
    Options
    That's all food for thought. I can't believe banks don't have this information to hand!
    LBM 2/12/15 - total debt £62500:shocked::shocked::exclamati::eek:
    2/216 £29500 unenforceable.
    DMP - 1/9/16
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Years back, they cut major corners thinking it would never be needed and they would never be caught out.

A bit like so many other things the banks did...
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • sourcrates
    Options
    That's all food for thought. I can't believe banks don't have this information to hand!

Six years is all there oblighed to keep information for.

Sometimes, due to the sheer amount of accounts, even less, it only takes someone to file something incorrectly and it's lost forever.

Just imagine the many millions of accounts some creditors hold, it's someone's job to file all this information, mistakes happen fact, no company is infallible.

The debt collection industry is the most unregulated industry in the western world, hence all the disputes that arise from it, beggars belief sometimes !!
  • sourcrates
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    Years back, they cut major corners thinking it would never be needed and they would never be caught out.

A bit like so many other things the banks did...

PPI mis-selling for instance ?

"You must have this insurance to qualify for the loan" I was told many times, back in the 1980's, if only I'd kept the paperwork I'd of been a flaming millionaire by now !!!
  • Little_Miss_Sunshine
    Options
    2 more letters in the post. Hellifax can provide the agreement ( not surprised really ) the balance there is £700 so not too bad. Natwest are sorry to inform me that they can't and its unenforceable but would I please pay. Balance there is £400.

So far 4/8 responses. Mbna x2 not complied, hellifax enforceable and natwest definitely not. All letters carefully filed!!!
    LBM 2/12/15 - total debt £62500:shocked::shocked::exclamati::eek:
    2/216 £29500 unenforceable.
    DMP - 1/9/16
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills