Options
1373839404143»

Comments

• gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Triumph13 wrote: »
    If you think you are being taxed unfairly that can have a very material impact on your happiness - no matter how much you care about the job.

Got it in one. People want to be valued, particularly when they have gone above and beyond what the vast majority of people put in, and when you keep them in the cross hairs, then they really won't feel that way.

It's not necessary, it's counter productive, and it needs to stop.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • saver861
    saver861 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    Triumph13 wrote: »
    I think you're missing a vital piece of the jigsaw if you think that objecting to high marginal tax rates (and taking your toys home as a result) is just about wanting more money. In many cases it is much more about perceived 'fairness'. If you think you are being taxed unfairly that can have a very material impact on your happiness - no matter how much you care about the job.

No I think I have the full jigsaw - no vital pieces missing.

Clearly I'm not saying people would necessarily be happy about paying more tax. What I am saying is that your sense of 'fairness' will be different for many - those that are more motivated by money will feel that it impacts more than those less motivated by money.

In other words, if it gets to the point of taking your toys home etc then possibly your sense of 'fairness' will feel more devalued.

As was stated earlier, if you then feel that is too unfair you make other plans, emigrate, whatever. It's not unfairness in the sense that you are being individually hit more so than others, the same rules apply across the board.
  • saver861
    saver861 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Got it in one. People want to be valued, particularly when they have gone above and beyond what the vast majority of people put in, and when you keep them in the cross hairs, then they really won't feel that way.

It is absolutely correct that people want to feel valued. That is a core principle in motivation. That motivation is made up of many factors - a simple 'thanks' from an appropriate person at an appropriate time is a powerful motivating factor. Such motivation factors have far greater endurance than financial motivations, which tend to be more temporary.
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    It's not necessary, it's counter productive, and it needs to stop.

No, I believe your perception of the significance of money as a motivating factor is misplaced.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure