🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

benefits and savings

Options
I'm on esa and pip and received a check for £12,000. If i put this money into a family members account can dwp find out?

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why would you want to commit fraud with all the problems that could bring?
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bridges80 wrote: »
    I'm on esa and pip and received a check for £12,000. If i put this money into a family members account can dwp find out?

Are you suggesting you do not inform the DWP?

PIP is not affected by the amount of assets you hold.

ESA contributions based is not affected either.

If you're on income based ESA it's your responsibility to inform them of your windfall. You could give it away that's not a problem. They will assess you as if you have the money under your control and adjust your ESA payment appropriately.

Depending on what this money was paid for you do have some options. If it's a payout for an injury that you've had you can put it into a trust and it won't be counted. If it's a payout for paying PPI premiums in the past then paying off a loan that you had taken out to afford to pay for the policy even if you've refinanced several times since would be fair too.

You can also use windfall's to purchase essential household goods and services that you need. Keep all the receipts to prove it was an essential expense. Even buying a replacement car can be considered essential if yours is now becoming unreliable and is uneconomical to continue to maintain.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Bridges80
    Bridges80 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    It was dads pension money who passed away in August.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How are you going to pay a cheque for £12,000 with your name on it into an account without your name on it?

I know it's occasionally possible to slip one through, but I'd imagine any cashier, when presented with such a high value cheque, would be scrupulous in their processing.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,105 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maybe its legal to cash in & declare the cheque, then use it as a deposit to buy a flat, then youll be disposing of it and investing in the property meerkat
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 January 2016 at 3:11PM
    Options

This is a money saving site. Not a "how to commit fraud" site. This site is regulated by the FCA and any FCA regulated company has a requirement to report suspected money laundering attempts (which includes benefit fraud). So, if this site is acting correctly, it should now be making a report on to pass to the authorities
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bridges80
    Options
    Not saying i'm going to actually do it, was just asking a question.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It was dads pension money who passed away in August.

You implied it was yours in the first post. Is it part of your dad's estate? Are you the executor of his will?
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    Just askin'? Oh yea.
    You asked if you would be found out? So you do understand that you were thinking "fraud". And you want our help to commit it!
    I believe in paying my tax to help disabled people but people like yourself do make me wonder!
  • Bridges80
    Options
    JohnRo wrote: »
    You implied it was yours in the first post. Is it part of your dad's estate? Are you the executor of his will?

yes his next of kin. parents divorced.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family