PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2016

Options

Comments

• savingpennies
    Options
    Gosh Pinkypig, I felt exhausted just reading your post.
    I've been busy helping DD2 and her boyfriend who are opening up a caf! together. I've been trying to cheer them up as the builders/shop fitters are behind schedule.
    Today I was researching cake/biscuit recipes with DD2 for the cafe and we made millionaire shortbread quite successfully. We used up some condensed milk I had in the cupboard that we never use, so that counts as minimising.
    Making do: I've used up several things from the freezer this week to make some space for Christmas stuff. I have all my family around on Christmas Eve and put on a buffet and I make several things I can freeze so that I am not cooking on the day too much.
    Minimising: Used up some of my wool stash to knit a snowman, Santa, choirboy and angel for a twig tree I have in the hallway.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Making do/minimising: made a lasagna with bottom-of-fridge and pantry leftovers - very tasty. Two large pieces were put in the freezer; the tiny bit that didn't fit into the freezer containers came to work with me ;)
    Mending: finally came round to painting the wall around the newly installed home office door. the new door is a bit smaller that the door that was there, so there was a white rim showing between the door casing and the light blue wall. Only took me two years and five minutes :D I have decided that I don't want to live in a house with so many small diy projects; I also don't want dds to grow up thinking this is normal. I want the house to be comfortable and welcoming; never mind that dh (not 'dear' in this case!) prefers watching films and lying on the sofa every evening. I'm doing this for me and dds.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It's been really foggy and cold here today!

My piggy-bank is ready to be opened....I feed it all my 1p, 2p, 5p and 10p coins.....he is feeling very heavy, so I will bag up all the small change - and resolutely NOT take them to the bank until AFTER Christmas...that should give me a nice bonus of cash!

Hi Prinzessilein- if you take your piggybank to a Metro bank, they have a cash machine and you get the entire value back.
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Hiya follow frugalers!
    No the aliens have not arrived to take me back to my home planet and that is not why I've been AWOL. I was looking after my son's dogs prior to them coming down for Christmas and they saw a cat which did not run away! So they chased it! Pulling me over and causing me to break my wrist! so am plastered at moment and son, his lady and my GD have come down early and are cooking, washing up washing my hair and doing up my bra! :D (funny the things you realize you need two hands for!!! )
    So am all behind for Christmas!!

Well done pinkypig for all your hard work. Last year I did a hamper for the family I was staying with and it was much appreciated!

Making do: we are trying to eat up my son's pantry as they are between houses at the moment. He was vegan for about a year so I am learning all about soya chunks and marinading them and miso paste and tofu flakes. all sounds v weird but tastes delicious! He really is a good cook!
    Baby needs food so have been deputised to feed her - one of the tasks that I can do and I love doing as she eats anything and loves her grub! So nite all more later when time permits!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • PinkFlamingo30
    Options
    Hi Folks,
    Long time no post. Not sure where the last few months went!
    Thank you all for being a ray of sanity in the very weird world of 2016. I may not have mmm'd as much as I could have but as with everything, I am a work on progress.
    Looking forward to 2017, I have decided to leave my current school, find a new one on the mainland and so, finally, at 31 move out. I am going to stick to part time so I can craft too. This will be a massive change for me, but you have all shown me that I can do it no matter how scarey it is. For that I thank you.
    I hope you all have an amazing christmas break and that I shall see you all on the 2017 thread :)
    Xxxx
    Pinkflamingor :)
    Mad teaching cat woman trying to be more frugal and fun :)
  • savingpennies
    Options
    Lynplatinum: that sounds painful and just before Christmas too, but it sounds like you are being looked after.
    Up early as I fell flat on my face last night and I've got up to take some painkillers. And before anyone asks I was totally sober having just had a coffee whilst at the hairdressers. I tripped up, put my hands out but landed on my face. My grazed my nose and upper lip and they are now swollen and painful. Nothing broken thank goodness.
    Make do: I used the stalks from a cauliflower and some broccoli, added carrots and a potato to make vegetable soup yesterday, which we had at teatime with some crusty wholemeal bread.
    Minimised: newspapers, which went to DD2 and her boyfriend's caf!. The shop fitters have finished and they are now painting the walls and ceiling and they needed the papers for the floor.
    Mending: I need to learn how to change light switches; I've got two switches were the rocker switch has come off.
    I hope everyone is ready for Christmas and if I'm not back before, I hope everyone has a peaceful and Happy Christmas:xmassign:
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    Sorry haven't been in fir a while, I've been working a lot morehours doing sickness cover recently. The money is great and I love the work but it's got me a hug behind with everything else.
    Hugs to all who need them and I hope everyone is as well as can be.

Lyn take dad of yourself lovely and let others look after you.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi- could some kind person remind me how to find the recipe list on here as I`ve forgotten.....!

Also a special thanks to Prinzessilein as I still have her gingerbread recipe and I use it all the time! Very very popular! If it isnt you- dont worry!
  • Bigjenny
    Bigjenny Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    janb5 click on the Monthly Grocery Challenge at the top of the main page and it starts at post 4.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    Afternoon all....

Janb5....I certainly DID post a recipe for Mum's Sticky Gingerbread on here...she mad a batch last week, and it was seriously good! I'm glad you like the recipe!

Making Do today....I had 2 small presents to wrap- and no paper left, so I made do with some tissue paper that I had - it looks pretty good with red ribbon tied round in a bow and a gold star stuck on it!

Minimised a shopping bill by using coupons I had saved up and my store loyalty card...got £10 of a £30 bill....that is all shopping done until after Christmas (actually until the New Year bar some milk and possibly oranges after Christmas)

No mending done today...but have put vest into the mending basket - maybe until next year!...I wear cotton vests as a protective layer for my hyper-sensitive skin...did some laundry at the weekend and have noticed the dryer seems to have 'snagged' the vest and there is a small hole in it...I will darn that before wearing it again ...thankfully I bought a pack of 6 vests, so no hurry with the mending!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure