PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2016

Options

Comments

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi, haven't posted for ages again, looking forward to moving as then I will have proper internet access again instead of just on my phone.

I've hired a man and van so that everything can be moved on the same day rather than in bits and pieces over weeks like the last move. Date is a week on Wednesday so will have to start packing soon. As I minimised a lot of stuff before the last move, everything will probably be moving. However, will have a look at anything I've not used in the last 6 months and see what else I can minimise.

Me and OH have been eating down the freezer and cupboard stores as there's no point carting food over with us.

Plan for today is to do a wee bit of packing and then I'm doing a shift for 2nd job later.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10796.88/£15000 (72% saved). Emergency fund - £1538.77/£2000 (76.9% saved).
  • charlies-aunt
    Options
    MAKE DO - Did not buy anything new for office do, just made do with popping on a glittery scarf to pretty up a top that I already had.

MEND -Removed the too tight elastic from a pair of jogging bottoms and just in the process of hemming them up.

MINIMISING - Made two door sausages from old jumpers and off cuts of fabric and stuffed with old tights and scraps of fleece - minimised the rag bag.
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• kkffoo
    kkffoo Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Make Do:
    Wrote out an avon order form, then cancelled it. No more toiletries or cosmetics until I actually run out of something. Things always last longer than I imagine.
    I was finding it tricky to use the plastic container which my kitchen oil comes in, so I thought of buying a special oil pourer. Then I saw the empty squeezy ketchup bottle waiting to be rinsed for recycling. I gave it a very thorough clean out, and filled it with oil. Now I have a very handy squirty oil dispenser...yeah!

Mend:
    I'm hoping that the holes I darned in wool cardi were old ones that I missed in the last sewing session, and not indicating a new batch of hungry rampaging carpet beetles.

Minimise: Many things minimised.
    Christmas shopping is one (and as a consequence time spent gift wrapping will be reduced also).
    The old chicken feeder is past its functional best, so we've ordered a no-spill version to minimise waste on feed.
    I now make vegetable stock from nearly all our veg peelings and trimmings. We used to compost these, but now we get some lovely stock first before composting them!
    Target £80 per week groceries, household and cleaning for four adults.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just odds and sods today. DGD brought me 3 bras to mend - the wires have poked through. I've a TShirt to make for a toy and DH's overshirt needs two of the button holes repairing. All I've done is put them together for later!
    I've spent most of the day on my PC scanning photo's for my neighbours 60th WA. All scanned now just have to organise them on a flash drive. I have written out some Christmas cards to hand out on Wednesday and I'm trying to do them in stages so it's not so much of a chore!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Evening all,

Make do: Was helping out at my friend's churches Christmas do and she rang up say that everyone was wearing Christmas jumpers etc. Well, I dont have one so dug out my Rudolf earings; red hair tie with a bell on (it rings when I move) and a nice broache which was bought for a charity thing years ago! We had a lovely day - friendly bunch.

Mend: lots of things - DS2 has been helping out in this regard sooo much Bless him I am just so lucky! :A

Minimise: Well, definitely not me: - huge pasties made by my friend + mulled wine + huge Sunday lunch out!! :D Also expenditure - went to Truro to pay deposit back to tenant as they left today (phew! she has done nothing but complain and cost me a fortune in repairs.:( ) After all the stress of having to face her and dealing with the bank - needed cake and cuppa. We went into Thorn!ons - and as it was nearly 5pm - some of the cakes were only a pound - so I chose one of those (salted caramel cheese cake!) and we shared a pot of tea! We really needed a cheer up then.

I have to say watched Franchesca Matrinez on Russell Howard (she is a comedian and actress who has Cerible Palsy. She is so funny and takes the **** out of herself. If you haven't read her book yet then you need to so!!! It puts all your problems in perspective - without depressing you!

Nice to see you back misstara, hope your move goes well! :beer:
    Charlies Aunt - wow you have been busy!!! :beer::beer:
    Frugal onward folks!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Had a small food shop this morning , first this month, and I am making do with what I have in the freezer as much as possible.

No mending but knitted a couple more squares for my charity blanket

Minimised some piles of paperwork into a sack to give to DD to put through her work shredder

Lyneplatinum there are times in ones life when a cuppa and cake is whats needed to get things back on an even keel.

Tomorrow I shall take myself and some of my Happy Cash Stash off to Faversham for the afternoon to a mini meet-up of MSEers , trust me coffee and cake will definitely be on the menu along with a good bit of nattering :):)

We are meeting in Macknades which is a gorgeous farm shop on the outskirts of the town and is a bit like a mini Harrods food hall, so I shall be buying some goodies for Christmas treats for my family :):):) and I shan't feel in the slightest bit guilty either as its a treat for me :).

I received a nice Christmas cheque from my late OH's lodge this week as I do every year, so that will probably be spent on something nice
    JackieO xx
  • silvasava
    Options
    Bitty day but quite a few of those little irritating jobs done! Mended DGD's bras and DH's shirt buttonholes - took me all of 15 mins! Picked up a new showerhead from a friend of DH who gets a trade discount - cost under a fiver so not much minimising of cash. Delivered a couple of Christmas cards as I was in the area and then did a largish shop in Aldi - a few store cupboard bits so I won't have to shop nearer Christmas. I have just realised my to do list is all stuff for other people!!! Hmmmmm
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    It's been really foggy and cold here today!

I am managing a low-spend month food-wise....lot of tins in the cupboard and a well stocked freezer have helped.....but am always making sure I keep 'emergency reserves' in case I physically can't get out of the flat!

I popped into my favourite charity shop today.....I have been looking for a jug or similar container for holding my cooking utensils (ladle, slotted spoon, fish/egg slice...you know the stuff!)...I REALLY wanted one in pale blue/green as my new kitchen is duck-egg.....but they had a pot of just the right size for only 50p, it is a rather bright fuchsia in colour!....still, I bought it and am planning on repainting it!

First batch of festive bread (almond and spiced cherry) has been baked and is cooling at the moment....enough ingredients in the kitchen for baking a second batch tomorrow (without the temptation of an 'extra' trip to the supermarket!)

And earlier this week I picked up 3 packs of YS ham...it was a day before the sell-by date, BUT it was clearly marked as suitable for freezing....so that is sandwiches sorted until the new year!

My piggy-bank is ready to be opened....I feed it all my 1p, 2p, 5p and 10p coins.....he is feeling very heavy, so I will bag up all the small change - and resolutely NOT take them to the bank until AFTER Christmas...that should give me a nice bonus of cash!
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm making a big effort at the moment to MMM my way through the festive season. I've always tried to take a sensible approach but it's to easy to get sucked into a few spends here and a few spends there, many of which aren't really necessary.
    I've made a reasonable job of planning ahead so the presents are done and without breaking the bank.
    Im particularly pleased with some semi homemade ones as I've never done this before. I''ve had some great CS finds throughout the year which I've put to good use. I've done DD a cocktail hamper based around two cocktail glasses and a book I got in Age Concern. I don't think the book has been opened. I did a hot chocolate one for DS which included a mug shaped like a square of a Dairy Milk that I can remember having decades ago. It was 50p looks great amongst all the different hot chocolates and toppings. Mum's pressie was a knitting bag I got back in the summer for £1 so I've filled it with wool and got her a book of patterns for knitting farm animals as she does knitted toys for a local charity. So that's my make do.
    Minimise has been food stocks. I've a big family get together tomorrow and with the exception of a couple of nice cheeses, some nuts and olives, I've catered everything from the cupboards and the freezer. I've had a busy (but enjoyable day) and have made three different tray bakes and some brownies, two types of chutney, oat cakes and Parmesan biscuits, mackrel pate and duck liver pate, a cashew nut cheese ball and some quiches. Tomorrow I'm going to do cheddar and ale fondue inside a soda bread loaf, baked Camembert and some different types of bread. Not only have I used stuff up but I've spent very little. Once upon a time I'd have had a £100 delivery from Asda ordered for a family event:eek:
    I haven't mended anything but I have started a mending basket which is full of socks and gloves with holes in. I'm going to make sure that gets done the next time I'm sat watching TV.
    Night all
    PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • silvasava
    Options
    Pinkypig - your baskets and bakes sound lush! Well done on the bargain hunting too! Working my way through the Christmas cards - all the ones for far flung places have been posted - just the local ones and neighbours to do. No particular present buying as both DS's , DiL and DGD will get money. They all like to travel so I'd rather do that. I will get a small tree gift for them though.
    Friends coming round today so better get a wriggle on!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure