We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cherry Tomatoes.. any recipe ideas?

Options
I hate tomatoes but as the other half loves them I grew a few different sorts this year. My cherry tomatoes have gone nuts but he has decided he won't eat them because you can only have them in salad and he can't be bothered to make one.

I've been giving them away but has anyone any ideas of things I can make with them so he might eat them. I really am clueless as I can't stand them.

Comments

• frankie1star
    Options
    hi crazy

tomatoes are wonderful, you could try roasting on the vine with some garlic. onion and olive oil.....yum ..... delicious. You could also add, peppers, mushrooms, very versatile
  • bina72
    bina72 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    This is going to sound a bit crazy & I must admit I've never actually tried it...
    They can be used to make a unique kind of bloody mary - you inject them with vodka until they swell a little, pop them in the fridge until chilled then eat! Apparently they pop in your mouth. Might be a novelty at parties?
    No idea if it works, not a big vodka fan so never been driven to try it out.
    :beer:
  • Lord_Gardener
    Options
    We pop them in whole when making Spaghetti Bolognese - yummy!
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • Calephetos
    Options
    I love them raw. :) They're good in pasta sauces, but you might want to skin them (fiddly - pour boiling water over them, leave for a minute and they'll pop out of their skins, if they don't, make a slit and they'll come out easily). Otherwise, we end up with chewy tomato skins on the side of the plate :S

They go utterly, fabulously well in a mature cheddar baguette :) Nothing like decent cheese and sweet tomatoes with proper butter and a crusty bread. *falls over with hungry*
  • miss_saveapenny
    Options
    hiya, could make tomato and basil quiche (add goats cheese if u have any) or cut up when doing scrambled egg on toast with a bit of salt and black pepper, also just cut in half and put in casseroles or gravy. nice with a pan fried filletsteak (bit expensive..only dreaming)with a bit of red wine ,balsamic ,new tates and veg... try making a soup use all your veg left overs e.g peppers , onions, carrots celery, sweat in a pan add beefstock or veg(oxo) simmer and wizzz up with blender. don't give away.. if anything just freeze to chuck in casserole..... stewing beef in a slow cooker ,a splash of balsamic with a great big yorkshire pud....sorry i will shut up now
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    We make a kind of b***ardised nicoise salad, we got the recipe from a tin of sweetcorn :)

Basically, pasta, sweetcorn, kidney beans, hard boiled eggs, tuna, sliced onions and cherry toms with a dijon dressing. Makes a nice big bowl which ought to be good for a couple of days. PM me if you want more details!
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • artyj_2
    Options
    make your own dried tomatoes, cut in half,sprinkle with salt, place cut side up on oven tray, put in oven on lowest setting for about 3 hours - they should store well in a jar, but mine never get that far because they are so delicious.
  • Big_Bird_4
    Options
    Lucky you.
    Roast them in the oven with garlic, olive oil and black pepper. Then put them through the blender to make pasta sauce. It freezes really well and is yummy. You can add other things to it if you want and its great on homemade pizza.
    I made tonnes of this last year. But this year we've been struck down by blight :o
  • suziewuzie
    Options
    I do the same as Big Bird, but don't bother to put them in the blender, just serve the halves with pasta and a big salad - yum.
    Weight loss - here we go again - watch this space!

US...........And them............
  • paddy's_mum
    Options
    Pop them raw and whole into a liquidiser, whizz until absolutely liquid and smooth (no annoying shreds of skin then) pour into clean, recycled jamjars leaving a one inch headspace and freeze. Hoick out and defrost whenever you want tomato puree for any recipe under the sun. Waste not, want not!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure