We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Hedgehog appreciation! :D

Just casually leaving this here... :P
http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/

I've become a bit of a garden hedgehog addict now we're getting them in the garden and I can watch them on a trail cam, just hoping the link might encourage a few other forum members to cut a hole in the bottom of their garden fence to let their local hedgehogs in! :D There's a fun map on there too where you can report local hedgehog sightings and see if anyone has spotted any already.

They're a good for money saving too (unless like me you end up spending a fortune on hedgehog houses and food! :p ), you'll never need to buy slug repellents again! My hostas survived without slug damage for the whole summer since the hedgies showed up!!

Anyone else out there a hedgehog enthusiast?

Comments

• REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Love the critters! There was a brilliant show on ITV, Hedgehog Hotel, over Christmas. Watch it and be hooked on sharing your garden with these amazing little animals.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Might start feeding them, apparently some have not hibernated well.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I haven't seen a hedgehog for over 40 years. I think my new area is eminently suitable for them - still suburbia but lots of semi rural areas. How can I tell whether it's worth building them a hotel without staying up all night on the off chance one will visit? I certainly can't put food out, as the local foxes will scoff the lot.
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes we have a family of three. They come and go during different years and this years three aren't the same as other years, they had a tiny baby with them earlier in the year. We love the, and feed and water them every night. Whatever is left in the morning we have noticed the local magpies eat lol.
    I have recorded the hedgehog hotel and might try to watch it later. We are having new fencing done at presents...well old fence, repaired. And we have left gaps for them.
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    That's great Harry's Nan! Our hogs can only get through the wrought iron gate where the flipping cats come in.
  • Kyrae
    Kyrae Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Loved the hedgehog TV show, that was fascinating! :D

The cats and foxes are certainly persistent here at trying to steal the hedgehog's food! :( For the last few weeks we've had problems with a fox digging his way in to the hedgehog feeding area (a patio slab raised on bricks to keep the food dry and cats out), he dug up the soil underneath so he could fit in and steal the hedgehog food! So I've just bought a ready made hedgehog feeding house in the sale, hopefully that'll keep the other critters out...

http://everythingwildlife.co.uk/hedgehog-househabitat-73-p.asp

We first found out we had hedgehogs after spotting hedgehog poop on the lawn! If it's smaller than cat poop and black in colour then it's probably hedgehogs :)
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I watched the Hedgehog hotel and loved it! There was a lot of information in it and good tips on things I can do in the garden. I've recently had a very long, large leylandi hedge removed which won't help their run through my garden, but I'm planning my replanting of that patch. It needs to include some denser, evergreens for our little hogs for sure. Fingers crossed they're all safely hibernating now.
  • Layny
    Layny Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have a hedgehog living in the compost heap and after reading this page will put some peanuts in there for them. Can't leave them on the grass or the dog will eat them! The reason I know it is there is because of the droppings which I googled a picture of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure