Bank charges and bank package account fees

Options
Hi

I hope someone can help with this query, please.

I am about to write a very belated letter to my Bank regarding all the charges paid when I was in financial difficulties, (and their charges made it worse); however, more recently, it has been brought up that Bank customers can reclaim for being sold "packaged accounts" when it wasn't "applicable".

Whilst both of the above have affected me, (in both cases, to the extent that I have become worse off financially, thus harder to return to, or stay in, credit), I note that MSE have a template for each type of Bank Reclaim.

Would it be better for me to write two separate letters, based on the MSE templates, or combine the two templates to make one letter to my Bank?

I want to action this as soon as possible, because even if I do receive some form of refund, I really do want to switch banks, but I don't want to move banks whilst this/these complaint/s are being investigated.

Many thanks, in advance.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am about to write a very belated letter to my Bank regarding all the charges paid when I was in financial difficulties

The hardship guidelines are for people in CURRENT financial hardship. Not historic.
    I note that MSE have a template for each type of Bank Reclaim.

Dont use a template for financial hardship. Banks assess each case on its individual merits and you are totally reliant on the goodwill of the bank. If you use a template that is not personalised and one that the person at the bank has seen hundreds or thousands of times before then you are not helping your case.
    Would it be better for me to write two separate letters, based on the MSE templates, or combine the two templates to make one letter to my Bank?

One is a complaint (packaged bank accounts). The other is a goodwill gesture request (current financial hardship). You could put them in the same letter as long as you make it clear what the differences are.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure