esa appeal win question

Options
Hi, I got taken off esa in July and started an appeal, while the appeal was being looked at I started claiming universal credit, I won the appeal for esa on December 16th, esa phoned me yesterday and said that they will be backdating pay to me from July until now and also from March to July because apparently in that time I should've been on a higher amount. I cancelled my universal credit and account as requested so that they could reopen my esa account. I was under the impression that if I claimed Inbetween my appeal I wouldn't get backdated but that doesn't seem to be the case, can someone clarify this for me, thank you.

Comments

• paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    RyanRuss9 wrote: »
    Hi, I got taken off esa in July and started an appeal, while the appeal was being looked at I started claiming universal credit, I won the appeal for esa on December 16th, esa phoned me yesterday and said that they will be backdating pay to me from July until now and also from March to July because apparently in that time I should've been on a higher amount. I cancelled my universal credit and account as requested so that they could reopen my esa account. I was under the impression that if I claimed Inbetween my appeal I wouldn't get backdated but that doesn't seem to be the case, can someone clarify this for me, thank you.

You will only get the group amount backdated depending what group you are, But for the time you were on UC the basic amount for over 25 is 146.2 every fornight or 292.4 monthly.
  • RyanRuss9
    Options
    Thank you, I just thought because I claimed another benefit Inbetween that I wouldn't be able to get backdated payment. I am over 25 and when I was on esa and the amounts you out there is about right what I was getting
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    ESA will effectively be backdated but the UC payments over the intervening period will be taken into account.
  • RyanRuss9
    Options
    Meaning that there will be deductions?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I imagine you will get the ESA money owing before July and any loss in income since then. They won't want to pay you benefits which exclude eachother .
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    A court has decided that the DWP did you a diservice by not awarding you ESA. Had the correct decision been taken by the DWP initially you would have been on more money than you have been getting on UC. Therefore the DWP is going to compensate you the difference between the amount you would have got on a continuous ESA claim and the amount you actually got on UC.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure