Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Moving house

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
4 replies 599 views
jobuckshipleyjobuckshipley Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Help! We are moving house in a few weeks and want to change from talktalk to Virgin as provider for phone line and broadband. My contract with talktalk does not expire until July. First they told me I would have to pay £180 for this. It has now gone up to over £200. I thought this was a free market! I was expecting to pay something but this seems astronomical. is thewre anything I can do?

Replies

• Help! We are moving house in a few weeks and want to change from talktalk to Virgin as provider for phone line and broadband. My contract with talktalk does not expire until July. First they told me I would have to pay £180 for this. It has now gone up to over £200. I thought this was a free market! I was expecting to pay something but this seems astronomical. is thewre anything I can do?

This gets posted at least once a week, read the similar posts and replies.
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was expecting to pay something but this seems astronomical. is thewre anything I can do?

You have to pay the remainder of the contract you signed up for. No there is nothing you can do.
  • edited 30 December 2015 at 3:28PM
    iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 December 2015 at 3:28PM
    Help! We are moving house in a few weeks and want to change from talktalk to Virgin as provider for phone line and broadband. My contract with talktalk does not expire until July. First they told me I would have to pay £180 for this. It has now gone up to over £200. I thought this was a free market! I was expecting to pay something but this seems astronomical. is thewre anything I can do?

TBH, if you are moving while still within a minimum term contract with TalkTalk, they are within their rights to charge you early termination charges, because it's you making the change by moving, not them..the amount of ETC usually is usually based on the remaining months of the minimum term, plus any equipment charges, you could ask for a breakdown of the £200, or if you don't mind who provides service, get TT to provide service at your new address, and in exchange for a new minimum term contract they may waive the ETC's
    If you don't want TT at any price, as you accept you are within a minimum term until July, they will charge you for leaving early,
  • But if the OP moves talktalk to the new address they will start them on a NEW contract at the new address right?
    QUIDCO £2827 paid out since October 2007:D
This discussion has been closed.