PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions - I checked the Hotpoint price and ordered one from eBay for £7 less with free delivery :j :money:
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    DH and I have also swopped over our 2 fridges, and I took the opportunity to give both a clear-out & clean :) Several dodgy looking jars were emptied & washed along with a very soggy bit of coriander that was tucked in at the back. I "took one for the team" and have just emptied the wine box into a small glass to enjoy while watching the footie! :D
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p It's important to get those wine boxes fully emptied before disposal, Floss, absolutely critical, in fact. You're going good work there.

I'm busy kondo-ing summat from the freezer and also reading a book from the to-be-read shelf, so what appears to an outsider to be idle pleasure is actually kondo-ing.:rotfl:

I also took my library books back today and got several more out including MK's first book, which I shall re-read to check she really is as mad as a box of frogs (yup). Mad, but strangely successful at changing other people's lives for the better.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Whilst I wouldn't pay a fortune for 'shabby chic' and being none too keen on the 'shabby' aspect. i have tarted up a few bits of furniture in my house with chalk paint and given them new lease of life. Indeed one or two pieces were no longer fit to be seen at all and are lovely now...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • GoingToDoIt
    GoingToDoIt Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks x-Raphael I want to buy one of those from quid land to wash them in. I have 14 pairs:eek: so I fear leaving them in the bag to dry, will make them smell.

Actually the poppers on a ribbon prototype is going well. I also kondoed some dubious "essential oil" into an old vinegar bottle of water to make ironing water.
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Stuff in my kitchen cupboards is [STRIKE]getting a beating [/STRIKE] being kondoed like mad, as a cleanliness issue. I've got some rejigging to do.

Rejigging is carrying on apace. Around 20 glass jars being saved for dehydrated greens are now in the recycling - I've bought kilner jars instead over the last year, at charity shops and boot sales. And some ordinary glass jars are still being kept :)

The glass fruit bowl from my childhood has been unearthed - but it has a crack in it :( and I can't keep that around, so after a few photos, it will go. A 50p job charity shop kilner jar has got the same thing, so that has to go too.

The Felix-branded feeding bowl (how **old** is that!) never used but obtained as a freebie from when I had cats and bought cat food :o has had a wash, and I'll sell it on gumtree/facebook.

Dishwasher tabs were in a tatty old cardboard box, one that they were bought in about four years ago ... chucked that, and they're now in a 2 litre kilner jar, the sort with the orange seal. Very unlikely I'll ever make anything that will need storing like that, so it's a great use of a lovely item.

Everything is having/will have a wash, and a wipedown with disinfectant.

Hmm. Just been out to the kitchen to smell that set of cupboards. Better, but not great.

Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :eek: Lovely peeps, when kondo-ing, esecially when clearing out hard-to-reach spaces such as the cupboard under the stairs, please exercise caution: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4591644/Pensioner-finds-bomb-stairs-puts-shed.html

Sheesh, and to think I worry about finding spiders.......:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,003 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Very excited. We're in the process of buying a house we plan to retire to in 2-3 years time. We'll rent it out for a while whilst I run down my business.

Have discovered this evening there is a riding school not far from where we will be moving to where we can learn Western riding. Whilst on our honeymoon in Utah we visited a restaurant that was part of a larger operation that runs horse riding trips. Have made a decision tonight that I want to learn to ride well enough to be able to take a week's long Western horse riding trip in the US. OH is happy to go along with this plan.

I rode (very badly) as a child and last sat on a horse on an impulse trip in Portugal about 18 years ago, which was over 25 years since the last time I'd done it!

Well it's good to have a plan.......
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good morning all.
    Sent home from hospital by sisters the other day (to rest /have a break ) I had a very sad kondo, cleared hubby's car out , my niece had SORN it and I asked her to see about selling it, after bringing only items to keep in the house, I decided to throw away all his work clothes, they are only fit for rags so easy to bag up as all together.
    My ex - father in law volunteers at a homeless charity so a stack of woolly hats ,scarfs and gloves are earmarked for him, I will do the same with coats once I've asked family if there's any they would like.
    I kept thinking people will think I'm being unfeeling for sorting hubby's stuff whilst he's still with us, but I think I'll really struggle more when he's gone, and it's keeping my mind busy too.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Dishwasher tabs were in a tatty old cardboard box, one that they were bought in about four years ago ... chucked that, and they're now in a 2 litre kilner jar, the sort with the orange seal. Very unlikely I'll ever make anything that will need storing like that, so it's a great use of a lovely item.

Ooh - great idea - I, too, have an orange seal huuge jar (inherited after my uncle died last year and appears to never have been used) which I was wondering what to do with - dishwasher things it is - thanks, Kc! :T:T

((Wort)) - sorry you've got such a sad job to do. I don't think it's unfeeling at all - it's practical to do it now if you have the inclination - later on you will have a whole heap of other stuff to be dealing with at a time when you probably don't want to be doing very much at all. Plus work clothes and woolly hats do not make the person (clumsy words, but I hope you understand) xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport