IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

POFA Sec. 7 (1)(2).

Hi everyone, just a quick query. Reading through the POFA 2012 I noticed that under sec. 7 (2) it states -
7
(1)A notice which is to be relied on as a notice to driver for the purposes of paragraph 6(1)(a) is given in accordance with this paragraph if the following requirements are met.

(2)The notice must—
(a)specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates;

Now, the pcn (NTK) I obtained was not for parking but for stopping. However, no time period was mentioned. Would this apply to pcn's issued for stopping as well as parking 'offences' ?

Cheers, Yotmon

Replies

  • FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    55.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    yotmon wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just a quick query. Reading through the POFA 2012 I noticed that under sec. 7 (2) it states -
    7
    (1)A notice which is to be relied on as a notice to driver for the purposes of paragraph 6(1)(a) is given in accordance with this paragraph if the following requirements are met.

    (2)The notice must—
    (a)specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates;

    Now, the pcn (NTK) I obtained was not for parking but for stopping. However, no time period was mentioned. Would this apply to pcn's issued for stopping as well as parking 'offences' ?

    Cheers, Yotmon


    Yes. The PCN is non POFA 2012 compliant because it does not specify the period of stopping/parking. I suspect it is also deficient in other ways as well, but you can certainly use the above as an appeal point.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • hoohoohoohoo Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    For an NTK with no NTD you need paragraph 9, not 7.
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
  • Assuming it is VCS they don't use POFA they simply assume that the RK was the driver, which if appealed to the IPC who confirm that it must have been the RK driving..
  • Pretty certain the IPC select a fixed percentage of appeals to allow.
    There is no evidence of them allowing certain points for certain car parks.
    They appear to work totally random.
    I dont even think they read the appeal if the truth be told, it is probably automated software that replies randomly with template replies.
    A lottery if you like
    If not show us all the staff they employ to deal with the appeals at red cow yard.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • yotmonyotmon Forumite
    484 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    hoohoo wrote: »
    For an NTK with no NTD you need paragraph 9, not 7.

    Thanks. Checked sec. 9 and its says pretty much the same.
  • yotmonyotmon Forumite
    484 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    esmerobbo wrote: »
    Assuming it is VCS they don't use POFA they simply assume that the RK was the driver, which if appealed to the IPC who confirm that it must have been the RK driving..

    Now this is where I get confused ( doesn't take much). I thought (rightly or wrongly) that for ppc's to pursue the keeper as the driver then they had to go down the Pofa route. If VCS can 'assume' that the driver was the keeper or vice versa, how far can they take this assumption, ie as far as court ? Anyone able to point me towards any previous explanations or links ?
  • edited 30 December 2015 at 6:38PM
    yotmonyotmon Forumite
    484 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 30 December 2015 at 6:38PM
    If not show us all the staff they employ to deal with the appeals at red cow yard.

    I did read somewhere that an ex Liverpool Crown court Judge had taken the position to head the adjudicators for the IAS, but unable to find his details at the moment !
  • CastleCastle Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    yotmon wrote: »
    I did read somewhere that an ex Liverpool Crown court Judge had taken the position to head the adjudicators for the IAS, but unable to find his details at the moment !
    Announced here:-
    https://www.theias.org/Lead-Adjudicator
  • edited 2 January 2016 at 1:17AM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    111.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 2 January 2016 at 1:17AM
    yotmon wrote: »
    Now this is where I get confused ( doesn't take much). I thought (rightly or wrongly) that for ppc's to pursue the keeper as the driver then they had to go down the Pofa route. If VCS can 'assume' that the driver was the keeper or vice versa, how far can they take this assumption, ie as far as court ? Anyone able to point me towards any previous explanations or links ?
    You thought wrongly. Pretty sure the NEWBIES thread still advises that a PPC does not have to follow the POFA and can use the old way, driver liability only. Loads of them don't follow the POFA, e.g.:

    CP Plus, Excel, VCS, Smart, Civil Enforcement all make no attempt.

    Compare notes with this poster who was also pointlessly poring over the POFA, yet VCS don't use it:

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5385271

    and ignore them, except in the unlikely event of a court claim.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals