Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

How to get broadband and tv without a landline

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
6 replies 1.4K views
caringacaringa Forumite
676 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Hi - hoping for some advise for me and my daughter. She is moving into a flat this month and obviously wants to have a tv and broadband but doesn't need a landline.

Can anyone recommend where to start looking and maybe give some recommendations or otherwise? We know that the previous tenants had sky and also that there is no cable available at the block.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• HappyMJHappyMJ Forumite
    21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're going to spend money on Sky then I would highly recommend spending money on a landline broadband provider. It's not that much more expensive.

You can get a high speed 4G mobile broadband mi-fi device but it's more expensive than a landline based service, has higher latency (delays) and you are limited in how much you can use per month.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • edited 30 December 2015 at 11:14AM
    macmanmacman Forumite
    48.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 December 2015 at 11:14AM
    Unless your daughter wants subscription channels, then TV is available free via an aerial (Freeview) or a sat dish (Freesat) If there is an existing dish, as there should be if Sky was being used previously, then she can connect either a Freesat PVR (Humax or similar) or an old Sky box (from 99p on eBay): either will give her all the free to air channels without any ongoing cost, and is a straight plug in-no install required.
    In the absence of any VM cable service, if she wants ADSL broadband then she will need a landline, which requires paying line rental. No way around this.
    The choice of broadband providers depends on what is available on her exchange, so start with an exchange search on samknows.com for her LLU options, the usual suspects being TT and Sky.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • wongataawongataa Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    caringa wrote: »
    Hi - hoping for some advise for me and my daughter. She is moving into a flat this month and obviously wants to have a tv and broadband but doesn't need a landline.
    All internet that does not use the mobile networks comes into a home via a cable. This is a landline. It matters not whether it is not used for voice calls, you need to pay for it.

You can get internet from Vigin Media without paying line rental but it costs at least the same as the same internet service plus a phone bundle so either way the line rental is paid.

The only way you can get internet without line rental is to use a mobile internet service.
  • iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If Virgin Media (cable) are not available then to get 'broadband' the only realistic choices are mobile broadband from a mobile operator line O2, Vodaphone, 3, etc...or paying line rental and getting broadband on that landline....as others have said, even if VM were available, if you take their broadband with out line rental, it's costs about the same as a landline and broadband, so although you don't pay line rental, you don't make any saving either
  • 19lottie8219lottie82 Forumite
    6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Virgin will offer TV and BB without a landline, but it works out more expensive to NOT take it, as the 3in1 bundle is cheaper. Same with other companies as well, I would imagine.
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    Virgin will offer TV and BB without a landline, but it works out more expensive to NOT take it, as the 3in1 bundle is cheaper. Same with other companies as well, I would imagine.
    I've found this with Virgin - they offered me £5 less a month to keep the landline than to have just BB, even though I never use the phone.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals