cheapest place to live in Britain

Options

Comments

• greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well i have to ask :confused: why do you want to know the Cheapest place to live.

I read somewhere about 3or4 years ago Hull was a little property hotspot to invest in .As no one has said it is cheap was that good advice
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • squashy
    Options
    Once you have a few places in mind check them out on www.upmystreet.co.uk for info about council tax prices, crime rates, local schools, demographic etc etc
  • Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    I'd pitch in with Manchester as well, I'm renting a room in a shared house for £45 a week at the moment (and I'm not a student). Good food shopping on the cheap, too.
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • Greenqueen_2
    Options
    koe_182 wrote: »
    unfortunately i could never bring myself to recommend bacup, but it certainly is cheap, this entire East lancs area i think must be amongst the cheapest (im from burnley)

There`s nowt wrong wi` Bacup
  • sallyanne50
    Options
    My friend lives in Sheffield and she says its very cheap. However she is a student, I think she pays £45 a week (inc water bills) for her room in a student house. Considering in London I pay £75 (exc bills) and this is VERY cheap for students in London, I'd say Sheffield.

Before we moved to France we lived in sheffield, we would like to come back but some where different.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 2 August 2010 at 3:22PM
    Options
    ka7e wrote: »
    As mentioned, parts of Lincolnshire - also most of Norfolk and (apparently) Weston-super-Mare in Somerset!

I think you are wrong on Norfolk there! It has some very expensive areas - parts are known as Chelsea on Sea. I dont live in the most expensive area but a two bed terraced cottage here is usually £180k upwards.

There are cheap properties over on the Fens of Wisbech, Cambs or Lincolnshire. Or in central Great Yarmouth (full of old b and bs housing immigrants).

However, I dont think I could recommend anyone to live there or any of the other cheapest areas. They are cheap for a reason.

Usually further north, the cheaper - apparently Yorkshire is cheapest county.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 2 August 2010 at 3:39PM
    Options
    Blimey, just realised this has been dredged up from 3 years back.

A lot of the old seaside places are being used as b and b for the influx from abroad - they all have low house values, Margate, Hastings, Yarmouth, Blackpool and so on.
  • Reedyp
    Options
    I live in the south east. There are some exceptions but the average rent is £750 per month. There are no jobs. Council tax is approx £130 per month and water average £45 per month. The council has no budget to help. We found ourselves with £300 per month shortfall on paying the rent because my husband been made redundant and benefits awarded are not enough to cover the rent but if we don't pay we would be making ourselves intentionally homeless so will not b entitled to any help. You guys tell me
  • Reedyp
    Options
    I live 5 mins away from Margate and it's a nightmare. There nothing here even now it's not getting any better
  • Lapadore16
    Options
    We are looking for inspiration and to sell our house in a great area of vale of glamorgan and move to the south wales valley's. Does anybody know which is the best valley? Very often word of mouth is much better that a load of esate agents trying to sell you something. I hope my fellow money savings experts can help. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure