Replacing our 28 year old boiler help?

Options
In March 1987, a local plumber, an excellent man, put the first ever gas combi-boiler in our home. In fact, not only was it the first gas boiler put into our home, it was also the first combi-boiler model for sale in the UK, a Vaillant. We run five large double radiators and four smaller double radiAtors from it. We do need an unusually warm home as my husband has congestive heart failure, we use 25,500 KwH of gas per year, double the national average.

Some years ago, a United Utilities Engineer visited our home to fix the boiler because the fault was caused by a burst main (tiny dirt getting into the hydraulic pipe system). He said 'don't replace this system until you have to and when you do this is what to replace it with', but that was some years ago.

What would you consider to be the best, longest lasting, boiler to replace it with, if I ever make the decision, and how much will it cost to purchase and install?

Many thanks in advance.
“And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
― Julian of Norwich
In other words, Don't Panic!

Comments

• southcoastrgi
    Options
    Combi's were available in the late 70's in the UK & were first made in Europe in the early 60's, no boiler is going to last like your old one whatever make you choose, expect a max of 10-15 yrs life span
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I certainly appreciate your comment, south coast. I should perhaps have said we could not insure our Combi for years after it was installed.

Any suggestions fora sensible replacement that would run our radiators?
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • freezspirit
    Options
    have you tried using an online calculator or even http://www.vaillantsystemfinder.co.uk/

Could you give more information on the size of rads (hxw) it might help
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Wow freez, I had no idea! Thank you for that.
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My boiler is from the 70s id never change it.. i havent even got cover for it.. touch wood
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mse tip .. touching wood, is cheaper:p
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've heard worcester bosch is one of the best on the market...
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our WB is fine, but it isn't yet two years old.

OP, bear in mind that you will probably have to have some of your gas piping renewed ,because of new safety regulations. We had to have ours chnged, when replacing our 35 year-old Potterton.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My back boiler is from the 70s and still runs great. Despite the age, we do have very low energy bills because we have good insulation in the loft and walls.

As for boiler longevity, some people think I'm crazy to rely on a boiler from the 70s. But it's gone this far without breaking, so why worry now? Besides, there's no promise the new boiler won't stop one day. Old things and new things fail, and breaking down doesn't seem to have any favourite time to strike. I've had anywhere from minutes to decades out of a device. You really need a backup option if heating is essential. A plug in electric fire is a cheap backup option that will heat any room with a socket if needed. But if the electric is out then neither the boiler or the electric fire will do you any good. So getting a gas fire installed would be a safer option. Personally, I've never had the gas supply stop, but the really prepared might even have a plan for that.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    Cisco001 wrote: »
    I've heard worcester bosch is one of the best on the market...

You heard wrong ;)
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure