Nice and thoughtful presents to get on a budget?

Options
This year I really do not have much money and my parents have said to not get them anything! Obviously I want to get them something. Can anyone recommend any thoughtful and nice gifts that I can buy or easily make etc on a tight budget? Thanks x

Comments

• Susie_Richards
    Options
    Free Christmas Gift Cheques

Pledge to do something nice, rather than spend

MSE Article, ideas and cheque template to print here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/xmas-gift-cheques
  • Susie_Richards
    Options
    You don't need to spend big to put a smile on loved ones' faces this Christmas - just a little imagination, effort and a few quid.

Festive Fivers is a contest we ran back in 2012. The aim was to build a database of the most clever, weird, romantic, thoughtful and practical present ideas to make or buy, for a kid or grown-up, for around £5

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/festive-fivers
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Do either of them have a particular hobby? And do you have access to a printer?

My sister is a Beaver leader and a couple of years ago, I found a number of Scouting cartoons online. I printed them out and put them into a display book (the type with plastic pockets) from the pound shop. She loved it. Maybe you could do the same about something that interests your mum or dad - sports, cooking, crafts, etc.

Sweetie Santas don't cost much. Use candy canes and a chocolate bar to make the sleigh. Add more chocolate (wrapped in Christmas paper if you want to), and a chocolate Santa on the front. Decorate with curling ribbon. There are plenty of pictures on Pinterest.

The Works sell three paperbacks for £5 if they like reading. Puzzle books are cheaper there than in the supermarkets or newsagents.

Google 'Mum's survival kit' for plenty of ideas to make a humorous but thoughtful gift for less than £1. You can include a penny (so you can never say you're totally skint), a safety pin (to hold it all together when things are falling apart) and a marble (for when you lose yours), as well as all sorts of other things. We made them for Mother's Day in Brownies a couple of years ago, and they were very well received. You can put everything into a pretty box, bag or envelope.
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    edited 18 December 2015 at 2:35PM
    Options
    Wilko have some nice gifts for under a £5, I got a few stationery pressie for friends this year and their home ware goods are reasonable too.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Offer to do some jobs for them, you can print out a certificate or whatever telling them what your going to do.

Or write them a nice poem or a letter, put it in a frame from Poundland, or you may want to splash out & pay a bit more at Wilko or somewhere.
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Get a super card and write something from your heart.

Son had me in tears one Xmas Day, in a good way!
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have just seen this posted on another thread. Argos.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3852640.htm
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Jollymum
    Options
    I have made my Mum a Christmas cake, she loves homemade cake and is unable to do it herself as she is not too well at the moment. She has eaten a bit already and was chuffed to bits with it.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Aaaaw bless Jolly, now that's what I call a real present. Hope your Mom feels better soon x
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    jadex91 wrote: »
    This year I really do not have much money and my parents have said to not get them anything! Obviously I want to get them something. Can anyone recommend any thoughtful and nice gifts that I can buy or easily make etc on a tight budget? Thanks x

Are you going to be spending Christmnas with them?

Home made sweets or cakes, or perhaps offering to do stuff for them - this could either be a voucher for doing something at a future date, or something you wouldn't normally do but which would be helpful while you are visiting (what jobs around the house do they dislike/ offering to do, say, ironing might be well recevied)

A letter with nice memories and appreciation could also become a treasured gift, and you could include copies of photos if you have access to a scanner or printer.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure