Most comfortable trainers/walking shoes- where

Options
arthurx1234
arthurx1234 Posts: 421 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 14 December 2015 at 6:16PM in Sports & fitness MoneySaving
I do alot of walking at work 10 hours on concrete floors plus 1 hour to and from work.
What type of trainer/walking shoes would you recommend and where can I get a pair cheap?
( have been told Nike Air mAX are good but are £60.00--£120.00 are there cheaper alternatives, oh and work has a dress code so black would be preferable)

THANKS
Arthur
BREXIT OOPS

Comments

• MarkFromCornwall
    Options
    Whatever pair you get, consider replacing the thin insoles that usually come with trainers with a thicker pair such as Scholl insoles available from various stores such as Boots.
  • sazpot
    sazpot Posts: 107 Forumite
    edited 14 December 2015 at 6:29PM
    Options
    I like Salomon shoes and given the 1hr walk it sounds like GTX would be worth having so I'd try these on and see if they suit your feet http://www.sportsdirect.com/salomon-vandon-lo-gtx-mens-walking-shoes-183890?colcode=18389026
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Like running shoes, walking shoes need to be properly fitted. A poorly fitted shoe can do a lot of harm. Go to a proper running store (not Sports Direct!) and they'll help you find something suitable.
  • Blue_Choo_Choo
    Options
    Nike trainers are the best for running I find. A good retailer will help you get the right fit for your foot like the OP above me says.
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Arthur, I absolutely love Skechers Shape ups, but they are expensive and the black suede ones (in the ladies range) has been discontinued, so I now wear similar shoes by Boston Athletic which are much cheaper.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • tightasagnats
    Options
    Brooks Ghost running shoes are exceptionally light, and very well cushioned, great for wider feet, and I use them for city walking (walking shoes are made often for off road terrain and not concrete and have hard soles and therefore can be punishing on concrete). In a sale Ghost are around £65 online. I do not think all black is available however. Millets online have mens black and red Ghost for £75 with an extra 15% off.
  • skateykatey
    Options
    Years ago i had a job where I was on my feet all day. My back, knees and feet ached constantly.

I invested in a pair of fitflop boots. They were quite expensive at the time (approx £100) but they turned out to be the most comfortable footwear I have ever worn.

They are said to help tone up your legs etc but I didn't notice any difference so forget the hype about that.

They are still going strong to this day so a brilliant investment.

They also do trainer type shoes. I'd seriously recommend you look into them.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 December 2015 at 8:30AM
    Options
    I work in factories on concrete floors and am on my feet all day. We have to wear safety boots and I've tried loads over the past 28 years.

The best ones I have ever had are my current pair of Doc Martins, not cheap but worth it.

My current pair have been worn every working day for the past 3 years and show no sign of needing replacement.

Forget about running shoes etc as they are designed for a completely different purpose.

Have a look and see if you have one of these locally, http://www.arco.co.uk/, our local one was very helpful and friendly (and comparatively cheap) for my wife's Docs.
  • Dustyblinds
    Options
    Whatever pair you get, consider replacing the thin insoles that usually come with trainers with a thicker pair such as Scholl insoles available from various stores such as Boots.
    I second this suggestion, have been wearing safety shoes at work for years and ended up with plantar fasciitis, I blame the shoes and concrete floors. My feet feel so much better for putting insoles in my shoes now.
  • arthurx1234
    Options
    I was quite impressed by the Sketchers with Memory Foam insoles however they did not have my size in the shop so i was out of luck, but range from £55 - 75 online for the "trainer" type of shoes. will have to check out the returns policy---- so still looking. I will be investing in some memory foam insoles and see if they help

arthur
    BREXIT OOPS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family