British Gas, Capital Resolve and LCS - Menage a nightmare!

Options
Hello
Looking for some help as I'm not really sure what to do next...

Brief history goes something like this...
- Turns out my girlfriend had approx £1000 of debt with British Gas for her old flat (prior to us moving in together)
- She was being declined for all sorts of credit. So in order to try and get her credit back on track we took on trying to clear up the outstanding debt
- She was contact by Capital Resolve who made her an offer of £500 to settle the debt in whole, which we paid thinking that would be it done then we'd just need to wait for the credit score to catch up over months and years
- Capital Resolve sent us a letter saying we'd paid what their client had asked for the account to be settled and that she would not be pursued for the outstanding amount
- LCS then start chasing us for the outstanding amount!
- Went back to British Gas who are saying they did not instruct Capital Resolve to take only £500 and that she should contact LCS to pay the outstanding amount!
- Wrote back to them telling them that they should contact Capital Resolve and attached copies of the letters from Capital Resolve, awaiting response
- Then wrote to Capital Resolve asking them to provide some evidence of their clients wishes to accept the £500 as settlement, awaiting response

Seems to me like despite Capital Resolve telling us that £500 was enough to settle the £1000 bill that it's probably nonsense... the fact we've got a letter stating this probably doesn't mean an awful lot? Can anyone offer any advice on how I can get this resolved without having to find the other £500 from somewhere?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,974 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

If you have it in writing from the debt collector that £500 would settle the account, and you would not be chased for the remainder, and you have paid this, then as far as you are concerned, the matter is closed.

It does not matter what arrangement existed between the DCA and the original creditor, they were acting on there behalf, and it would of been reasonable for you to assume the deal you were offered was officially sanctioned.

If they still insist you owe the full amount, you should send a letter of complaint to British Gas stating the above, and enclosing a copy of the letter, if they still won't accept this, after there final responce, or if 8 weeks have passed, you can pass your complaint to the ombudsman service who will decide your complaint for you.

British Gas complaints procedure :

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and-advice/contactus-personal-details/complaints/gas-electricity.html
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure