We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Holiday Insurance Advice Needed

Options
My husband and I have free travel insurance with Alliance and Leicester because we have a Premier current account. We are going to Spain in a couple of weeks and as my husband has angina I telephoned A and L regarding this. A medical screening revealed that my husband would not be covered for his condition and I had a letter the next day from Fortis advising me of this. I decided to go with Post Office insurance and we also had to do a medical screening. I was told that my husband would be covered at an extra cost of £17.80 plus the £40 premium. I received a letter the next day from, wait for it, Fortis telling me this. Why will they cover my husband's condition when going with the Post Office and paying £58.70?, yet they will not allow me to pay £17.80 and be covered with A and L. Can anybody help before I grudgingly pay the Post Office for cover.

Comments

• Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I would guess that it's because it's a different scheme, under a different contract - that is priced differently.
    A&L probably pay Fortis only a few pounds for each customer enrolled because of the large numbers covered, but the insurer makes sure it only covers mainstream - non pre-existing condition travellers - rather than those with a known condition that could end up costing them a lot more if it recurs abroad.
    With the PO scheme Fortis will probably be receiving £20-30 plus the £17.80 to cover your hubby.
    Why don't you contact Fortis to ask them?
  • the_greed
    the_greed Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    I am going to phone them tomorrow and see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport