What benefits would my brother be entitled too

Options
Hi, my brother is 54 currently on a job placement, usually on £59 per week job seekers allowance.

When he is on job seekers allowance, he gets help with his mortgage interest payments, only having to pay £25 a month towards the mortgage himself, plus free council tax.

If he was offered a part time job, 20 hours a week, after he has finished his 13 week placement, could anyone tell me what benefits if any, he would be entitled too, as obviously 20 hours a week he wouldn't earn enough to pay full mortgage and council tax.

He would like a full time job, but, if he was only slightly better off working part time. would be worth it, just to be able to get out and meet people, as at the moment he is existing not living.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Council Tax Benefit is means-tested, so if he wasn't earning enough to be able to pay the full Council Tax, he may be eligible for help even if he is working.

I don't know the situation about mortgage interest.

If he is single, he is only entitled to tax Credits if he works over 30 hours per week, afaik.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    there aren't any benefits that will take into account his mortgage costs, how much will he be getting paid?
  • hm71_2
    hm71_2 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always find the best thing is to go to www.entitledto.co.uk it is usually able to give a farely good idea of what you can get. ;)
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge £128/£270 balance £142
    £2 saving club £140
  • madelaine
    madelaine Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    Hi thanks for replies, he is single living on his own, he hasn't been officially offered any work, the placement is in a diy store. so i should imagine minimum wage, but if he isn't entitled to any help with his mortgage payments, part time work, would be of no use to him, we where hoping this placement would possibly lead to a full time job.

As there is little work around, and his age goes against him, when there are so many young unemployed people. One of the workers, asked him would he be interested in part time work, yes he would be,until he could find a full time position, better than sitting at home all day, getting depressed, but if no help available with mortgage interest payments, he couldn't afford to pay his mortgage.
  • ukdickie31
    ukdickie31 Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    Have you asked about Mortgage Interest (4 weeks) and Council Tax run on
    (4 weeks), as well as the Jobgrant (£250) and the 50+ element of Tax Credits ?

The adviser at the Jobcentre can do calculations and show the benefits of being in work from a financial perspective as well as explain the linking rules for Mortgage payments should the job fall through within the next 12 months.

If you brother has had no breaks in his claim for at least 26 weeks, these become payable at the point that he signs off into work.

The 50+ Tax Credits (only need to be working 16 hours or more a week) are excellent in the first year due to the income changes disregard of up to £25,000. It's worth discussing with the Jobcentre and Tax Credits and I am sure that your brother will be pleasantly surprised.

Give the Tax Credits people a ring - 0845 300 3900 and try to see your adviser at the Jobcentre asap.

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport