PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Washing machine smell

Options
Not sure if this is the best place for this....

Our washing machine is about 2 years old. It has a very musty smell, so much so that the kitchen is smelling now. I have run the machine on 90 degrees as per their booklet, I have run it with a whole tub of bicarbonate soda, I have also run it empty with vinegar. Nothing seems to be working.

HELP! What can I do to get rid of the smell? My washing us starting to smell too :mad:

Thank you.

Comments

• girlsmum
    girlsmum Posts: 470 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    have you cleaned the seal also have you removed the soap drawer and cleaned the cavity and the filter?
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    I had something similar about five years ago during a very hot summer and did all the things you have done. Out of desperation I ran through a tablespoon of bleach. I placed it directly into the drum, put it on a 95 degree hot wash and I never had the issue again!

If it is bad, do it because there is nothing worse than a stinky smelling mahine! I did not harm my machine at all by the way :)
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • Ayeshalush
    Options
    Do you use liquid detergent?

I had this problem and was advised that using liquid detergents can cause this problem, unlike powders, as they don't contain bleach and this allows mould etc to grow in the plastic components which most machines are made of these days.

HTH
  • Kendall80
    Kendall80 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can buy washing machine cleaner. We have to do ours every year or so to avoid any unpleasant smells (sometimes damp, sometimes sewage). We also clean out the bottom tray. It has got so bad previously that i've run bleach through it as suggested above.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use washing powder, haven't ever used liquid detergent. To help to prevent mould and smells, I always keep the washing machine door and soap dispenser drawer open when it's not in use.

I think it's a bit like if you switch the power off for a fridge and keep the door closed.............mould develops.;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, I was going to say about keeping the door open. One of my tenants has more or less destroyed the seal on his Miele by keeping it closed. It is black with mould.
  • j1n
    j1n Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    I do clean the drawer every month and it is spotless. The seal is as clean as I can get it. And yes, I do use liquid detergent. The drawer and door use to be open but because of the smell, I have started closing it.
    The only things I have not used are bleach and the washing machine cleaner. I will check the cleaner out first.
    Thanks for your responses. I shall report back.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I find mine actually smells worse after a 90c wash, not better. I avoid boil washes as much as possible. The worst mistake I made was washing the dogs bedding at 90c, the machine being a bit whiffy and thinking a 90c tub clean program would sort it. It was rank after that for weeks.

It takes ages to get back to normal, no amount of cleaner, bleach or vinegar helps, just time and plenty of fresh air.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • j1n
    j1n Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't been able to find washing machine cleaner in the local Sainsbury's. I will try a larger store.
    Thanks all.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A couple of handfuls of soda crystals and a hot wash, willl probably clear out the gunge that detergents leave behind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure