Redundancy - No consultation

My partner has just been made redundant. There has been no consultation, we had no idea this was about to happen. He has a month's notice (as per his contact).

I wonder whether this is legal? Had there been a consultation we'd have had the chance to start to look for alternative employement / or put a case forward to stay, or move to a different (lower paid) position. The company were hiring staff only a few weeks ago, to positions he could have done, albeit on a lower pay, but would be better than no pay.

He has been employed for under 2 years.

Comments

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

He has been employed for under 2 years.

With >2 years his only legal recourse is if they've made him redundant for an "-ism" (eg sex, race, religion) etc or a few other things like joining a Trade Union or H&S whistle blowing.

Alternatively he may have contractual rights to a disciplinary process as part of his contract
  • Would an 'ism' be agism as I am now wondering if they have selected him on the basis of employment length to avoid redundancy pay, and he is the youngest person at his level in the organisation. Will check his contract.

I did think a company had to consult first. They really just want to do / give the minimum possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure