IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN: wrong date as ink rubbed away - any chance?

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping you guys could give me some advice on whether I have any chance of fighting back.

I was issued a PCN in Kensington in London on 8th November (Sunday) - it was an honest mistake on my part as I did not expect the restricted residential bay to be in force on a Sunday.

However, I noticed that the "date of service" as printed on the PCN was clearly 03/11/2015 and I guess this was due to their poor quality printer.

I made an informal challenge on the basis that the PCN was unlawful and was rejected although in their rejection letter, they admitted that "it may be that the printing has happened in such a way that it looks like a 3 rather than 8 or that some of the ink has rubbed away". I was a bit surprised to be rejected as I always thought legal documents must be extremely accurate.

I am still in the 14-day period, could you please advise if I stand a chance?

Many thanks in advance!

Roark

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    roark wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I'm hoping you guys could give me some advice on whether I have any chance of fighting back.

I was issued a PCN in Kensington in London on 8th November (Sunday) - it was an honest mistake on my part as I did not expect the restricted residential bay to be in force on a Sunday.

However, I noticed that the "date of service" as printed on the PCN was clearly 03/11/2015 and I guess this was due to their poor quality printer.

I made an informal challenge on the basis that the PCN was unlawful and was rejected although in their rejection letter, they admitted that "it may be that the printing has happened in such a way that it looks like a 3 rather than 8 or that some of the ink has rubbed away". I was a bit surprised to be rejected as I always thought legal documents must be extremely accurate.

I am still in the 14-day period, could you please advise if I stand a chance?

Many thanks in advance!

Roark

Was this a council PCN or from a private parking company, and if so, which one? You need to tell us this before anyone can advise you what to do next.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Hi Fruitcake, this is a PCN from the Council of Kensington and Chelsea. Please do let me know if any further information is needed.

Many thanks
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    roark wrote: »
    Hi Fruitcake, this is a PCN from the Council of Kensington and Chelsea. Please do let me know if any further information is needed.

Many thanks

We deal mostly with private parking tickets on MSE, so your best bet is to post your query on pepipoo.com. You will need to scan redacted copies of all your paperwork and read the FAQs before you do this.
    Pepipoo have a good success rate.

Good luck.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Thanks Fruitcake, really appreciate your help.
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    If you scan and post the PCN, we may be able to comment further.

As you say, the date must be distinguishable to make the PCN valid.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure