Problem with chimney register plate/closure plate

Options
purplestar133
purplestar133 Posts: 1,731 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Hi everyone,

We moved into a new house in Summer and recently used the existing multi-fuel burner for the first time. After using it for one night, a crack appeared in the board above it which blocks the chimney off. I thought this was called the register plate but believe, as it is not metal it may be a closure plate?

As part of the conditions of our purchase of the house we asked for the burner to be inspected and for confirmation it had been installed correctly and was safe to use - which we did get. The person that did it only needed to put an access hatch into the above mentioned board before he could declare that it met all requirements. So, I didn't think I had anything to worry about with it.

It's almost as if the heat has caused the crack but surely it is made of fire resistant material? I can't see how it can have been certified as meeting requirements if it is not fire resistant.

So my question is, is the fire safe to use? Can I just fill that crack with fire resistant sealant?

I am worried about calling someone out to repair it if it is something I can do myself. Though of course, I will call them out if I have to. I did arrange for the person who inspected it as part of the sale of the house to come and check it but he didn't turn up after I waited in for him all day. There are links to some photos below.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o574/wren110/IMG_20151121_160428_zpsexogofi1.jpg This one shows the access hatch on the left.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o574/wren110/IMG_20151121_160504_zpsiyckyx7s.jpg

I can't quite work out Photobucket so apologies if you can see pics of my kitten on there too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure