PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dairy-free goodies for Christmas

Options

Comments

• TBradley
    Options
    My DS (16) is allergic to dairy. There are so many more alternatives now available. We use Alpro Soya (chilled original) and Vitelite. These we use as alternatives in all our recipies.
    His favourite treats are :-
    Tesco Free From Strawberry Vanilla Cornettos in the freezer, they are also Gluten Free so a real treat for us ! (I am GF)
    Frys Chocolate Cream, Turkish Delight and Dairy Free Fudge available in most supermarkets.
    Biscoff biscuit spread from most supermarkets.

We have just found VIOLIFE cheese in Tesco, this comes in slices, block and cream spread. There is a grateable version which I have found in an independent health food shop and this has transformed pizzas for him.

I hope this has been a help x
    Keep reading labels, because they change ingredients!!
  • AprilLady
    AprilLady Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TBradley wrote: »
    His favourite treats are :-
    Tesco Free From Strawberry Vanilla Cornettos in the freezer, they are also Gluten Free so a real treat for us ! (I am GF)

We have just found VIOLIFE cheese in Tesco, this comes in slices, block and cream spread. There is a grateable version which I have found in an independent health food shop and this has transformed pizzas for him.

Oh, I love those cones - they taste like proper ice cream! I'm also a fan of Violife, as it's the closest to proper cheese I've tasted. More like a gouda sort of cheese rather than a cheddar though, and it doesn't melt as well as normal cheese. I've used the cream cheese to make chocolate cream cheese brownies in the past too. :)
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Could I please ask: is Katie intolerant to the lactose in milk, or to casein, which is also found in milk? My son is intolerant to casein, so many of the lactose-free products are actually no use to him. It would be worth clarifying, as you don't want to spend out on lots of goodies and then find she can't eat any of them!
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Nigella does a lovely recipe for a clementine cake. You simmer some clementines & then blitz with sugar, ground almonds & eggs.
    It is delicious plus gluten & dairy free. It also keeps well.
    Just Google Clementine cake & the recipe pops up.
    Jen
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you all so much, this has been a real eye-opener for me, and I will certainly make use of a lot of the recipes and tips on it. I will ask her about her intolerance's when I see her on the 13th .
    She will know, as she is doing bio-chemistry in her degree at Uni.I have listed a lot of sites to point her too bless her and have also made a list of some of the recipes The Nigella one sounds gorgeous and very Christmassy.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2015 at 10:30PM
    Options
    I know it sounds like teaching your grandmother to suck eggs Jackie - but if doing mashed potatoes with Xmas dinner - remember to set aside a portion of mashed but not 'buttered and creamed' for the Dairy allergic lass! I am sorry to say I often forgot to do this for Dairy allergic son and he ended up with all the Roasties! its easy to 'forget' when dishing up for the 'hordes'!
    oh and Christmas pudding is often Dairy Free! I always have that plus a cream rich pudding for dessert. luckily my DA son LOVES Christmas pudding! he has soya 'cream' with it.
  • WorkFromHome
    Options
    Can I just say how much I appreciate this post. I came across it from the MSE email and being recently dairy-intolerant myself I have found my shopping bill sky rocket. I've emailed Tesco for their vegan list, god this will help me so much! Thank you everyone and plz keep posting product ideas for me to add to my list :)
    DEBT: 27/12 £4060 :mad: 6/1 £3906 :beer: 15/1 £3756 :T 30/1 £3700 :cool: 7/2 £3911 :D19/4 £3108.93 :T 31/5 £3095.12
    May Challenge £5 a day: £5.41 / £155 June Challenge £5 a day: £22.25 / £155
    WON 2015: £50 Argos voucher, Xbox One, 2 cinema tickets, £10 Amazon voucher
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Isn't it great that a simple query about dairy free can have such far reaching results,WorkFromHome you obviously know how expensive it is to be dairy free.I am so pleased that my small query has helped you,I know I am really pleased with all the tips and sites I have been given
    Cheers everyone
    JackieO xxx
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2015 at 8:23PM
    Options
    Yes it can be expensive if you don't know about 'substituting' dairy free products in recipes or using alternatives. I can remember in the early days with my son we would drive a 50 mile round trip just to obtain dairy free 'ice cream', soya products and real ewe's milk cheese! (30 years ago - health food shops were the only places that sold them). Oh and Carob Easter eggs! I nearly forgot those! Carob is a good tasty sub for chocolate! and the supermarkets all sell it in one form or another!
    to get back to topic - just the few items I got for him would cost nearly as much as my weekly food bill for the rest of us (4 People).
    of course I couldn't sustain that so made a determined effort to research dairy allergy and how to maintain a good healthy diet with some 'treats'.
    it CAN be done! I had to do it via the library - the internet makes it so much easier now - and the supermarkets stocking so many products which are dairy, colouring and flavourings free (yes he was allergic to THOSE too!), I would have been ecstatic to have had all these choices way back when.
  • ellieboos
    Options
    The vegan society has a great millionaire shortbread recipe.

Seriouseats 60 vegan recipes is excellent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure