3G Data Usage

Options
Hello everyone! I'm so sorry if this isn't the right place to ask. My family is taking a (rather long) car journey tomorrow. Unfortunately there is also a football match on that one member of the family wants to watch.

None of us have unlimited data on our phones, so I really just want to know: if she streams it from iPlayer on her phone, is there an estimated amount of data that it would use? She can add extra data bundles but that's not helpful if it's going to be massively excessive.

I've had a poke around the internet and it seems that the general consensus is that 2GB would get around 18 episodes of Eastenders, but would streaming be different? And would tethering be an issue?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Glances wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I'm so sorry if this isn't the right place to ask. My family is taking a (rather long) car journey tomorrow. Unfortunately there is also a football match on that one member of the family wants to watch.

None of us have unlimited data on our phones, so I really just want to know: if she streams it from iPlayer on her phone, is there an estimated amount of data that it would use? She can add extra data bundles but that's not helpful if it's going to be massively excessive.

I've had a poke around the internet and it seems that the general consensus is that 2GB would get around 18 episodes of Eastenders, but would streaming be different? And would tethering be an issue?

Thank you in advance!

Approx 10Mb per minute - So your match would consume approx 1Gb of data !!
    As for tethering - this depends on your supplier and contract !!
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From vague memory, I thought that iPlayer used around 700MB (=5600Mb) per hour.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depends on the quality and the amount of compression, but 600 - 1200mb per hour coule be right.

On a journey will it have a good enough connection to keep streaming for that long?

18 episode of eastenders in 2GB? sounds optimistic. Is that a postage stamp sized window?

Downloading one now to test it.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Downloaded EastEnders in 2 resolutions 1280 x 720 = 505mb so 4 of those would take you over 2GB.

Then downloaded in standard resolution which is 832x468 and that was 320mb, so 6 shows would be just under but the 7th would take you way over.

Nowhere near the 18 shows that you mentioned.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• bluesnake
    bluesnake Posts: 1,460 Forumite
    Options
    Although a bit late responding - a radio may be more suitable
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business