PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thread Thursday 26th November

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good Morning chums lovely, if very busy day, yesterday.Sociology meeting in the morning ,very enlightening I found we were discussing the gaps between healthcare in regard to gender,ethnicity and economics and how its changed over the past 30 plus years Sounds a bit heavy, but it was actually very interesting.

Then went to DDs, as we had to get some shopping for her and I needed to buy a couple of birthday presents,its my son-in-laws birthday today and he is a good chap to me so I like to treat him to something nice.

DD also wanted to get a small shop in Mr T's, and as we went in there was a huge sign exhorting customers to start lining up at or before
    5.00 A.M. on Friday morning.Total madness I think and nothing in this world would drag my to Tesco's at that time of the morning,even if they were giving stuff away for nothing.The world has gone totally mad and its one US custom that's crept over here that we could do without I think !!!

DD treated me to lunch which was nice, and then after getting the shopping and getting back to her house DGS Henry came in from school and said 'Can you take my bike down to Halfords Granny as it needs its 10 week service' .

As he uses it for his paper round, I want him to be safe so we loaded up my car and struggled through the late afternoon traffic to Chatham and got it serviced.Back home to drop him off, then I had to go to B&Q to get some primer paint for my dado rails and some light bulbs for the sitting room light
    Finally got home at 7.15 made a jacket spud and some salad and flaked out with my feet up.I had been non-stop since 9.30 in the morning:)

I went online to see how much two new drawers were for my fridge freezer as the fronts were badly cracked (they are only plastic) as yesterday I went to pull open the top drawer and the whole of the front came away in my hand !!! I kid you not two new drawers will cost me £91.97. I rue the day of buying this Bosch fridge-freezer.My old one which I had for over 25 years was an Electrolux one and had wire baskets which were brilliant These plastic ones are useless and blooming expensive to replace. The next one I buy if ever won't have plastic boxes hopefully Its built-in obsolescence I think

Now my microwave is not behaving very well either. The coating on the inside is starting to peel off so I am going to have to replace that as well. I've not had it more than about three years.it seems nothing is built to last anymore, apart from me of course :):):)
    I had a look in Mr Ts yesterday and they have a Russell Hobbs one for £44.00 and as I have a £5.00 Tesco voucher I think I will turn it into a £10.00 so I will get a tenner off a new microwave Blooming annoying stuff going wrong just before Christmas grrr

So that's my plan for today ,change up the Tesco's voucher and buy a new m'wave and take the other one to the tip(removing the glass plate first though and the plug. Then round to DDs to let the dogs out and back home to have lunch and feet up and a bit of knitting .back to Dds around 3.15 for the boys coming in from school then home hopefully by 6.30 and another day has whizzed by.

I could really do with an extra 5-10 hours in my day at times:D
    Hope you all have a good day and the rain stays away i did a wash last night and I'm hoping to get it onto the line this morning.
    Cheers chums
    JackieO xxx
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    JACKIE I couldn't agree with you more re freezer drawers. My trusty old Electrolux upright freezer gave up the ghost earlier this year and it must have been a similar age to yours. Never a minutes trouble in all those years. Replaced it with an IceKing with the dreaded plastic drawers. The drop down flap of the bread store at the top fell off every time I opened it (it's now propped up at the side as I got sick of fiddling to get it back on!) and the drawers feel so flimsy I am expecting them to come to pieces every time I pull them out! I totally agree, nothing seems made to last these days. x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Morning (((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))) if you need one.

Snap Jackie, I had to replace my fridge freezer about 4 years ago. The baskets are the devils own to get back in if you take them out and the cover on the middle drawer is broken on one corner. It is a Hotpoint, I expected better, will be looking for an indesit next time......its called built in obsolesance? spelling.....when my washer went to chap who came to look at it said washers etc are not built to last any more. I cannot grumble about that one I bought it in 2009, so I had it 6 years. If the new one lasts that long I will be pleased.

Bright morning here, but cold, no heat really in the sun, although the panels on the roof are keeping the hot water topped up.

Quilting day, true to form OH has gut pain, well sorry its tough, he will just have to soldier on. G is coming to sit with him whilst I am out. I think he is suffering from fruit overload, the last couple of days we had fruit at both lunch time and after supper. sorrt TMI.

Right, off to cook the stew for tonight and get the veg ready.
  • Maitane
    Maitane Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Hope everyone is as well as they can be.

Hester, so sorry to hear you're having a hard time during what is already a hard time. My FIL is a Methodist preacher and unfortunately sees his fair share of this. He always says that the family members that get involved in some form of hassle after a death usually delay the grieving process and find it harder to adjust and get past the guilt stage later on. You're definitely doing the right thing for your OH and you.

Mr Maity and I got back from Barcelona earlier hours of yesterday morning. I'm still quite sad about leaving again, it was always my favourite place to live.
    We're still perplexed by how cheap it was to be there for the five days in the central district of El Born - the markets were still full of beautiful produce. A weeks' worth of tomatoes (used every morning for breakfast) cost us 69 cents for example. :D

So back to the rain and I spent yesterday unpacking etc and found a dinner in the freezer and cupboards - chicken kiev, chips and beans isn't exactly health food central but it was still very nice. :o

I had time to do a quick cupboard and freezer audit before a trip to Mr T's where we got the rest of the ingredients to make what we had into meals for at least a week and get some stuff for Mr Maity's lunches whilst only spending £9. We were quite pleased with that especially as we were both a bit out of it.

We also ordered the turkey and ham from our local butcher last night - there will be 5 of us at Christmas and my SIL and BIL's black lab. I'm really looking forward to it - I won't be on-call, I won't be receiving phone calls about work and the new office doesn't even open over Christmas. :j

Going to spend today batch baking, earning some Swagbucks (not far off a £50 gift voucher) and trying to find where the cold draft in our lounge is coming from. I already have an oxtail stew with pearl barley on the stove for Mr Maity and I'm raiding the freezer for something to make curry with. I pointed someone in the direction of my pathia and vindaloo recipes last night and now I really fancy pathia.

Hope everyone else has a great day,

Maity x
    "We always find something, hey Didi, to give us the impression we exist?" Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot.
    DFW Club number 1212 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    ... It is a Hotpoint, I expected better, will be looking for an indesit next time.......

Csarina don't bother - they are the same company! We have 2 tall Beko freezers (Steve & Steve 2!) that are 2 & 4 years old, a Hotpoint fridge that's about 5 years old & a Beko fridge that's around 3 years old. I would recommend the Beko ones, the freezers are suitable for outside too.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have had a good morning so far .I went to Rochester and wandered around the W.I. country market, and spent a bit on some free range eggs,three huge pears a bag of leek and to balance up all that healthy fruit and veg a rather nice coffee and walnut sponge cake spent just over £6.00 odd so was quite pleased with my buys.Then decided to go into tesco's and double my £5.00 voucher up and spalsh out on the Russell Hobbs microwave they had on offer there last night At the time it was reduced from £55 to £44 so I thought this morning I will get another £10. off it and it will be a bargain.Last night they had five in stock ,surprise surprise this morning all have vanished !!! obviously been hidden away because of tomorrows madness.I shall wait until they return then buy one But I certainly won't go up there at 5 in the morning looking for them :):):) Maybe they had a sudden run on microwaves but I find that hard to believ in the space of less than 12 hours they had sold all five of them ??? who knows Watch this space :):):)
  • Maitane
    Maitane Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    Oooh JackieO, I forgot to ask how your DGS got on in Snowdonia.
    "We always find something, hey Didi, to give us the impression we exist?" Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot.
    DFW Club number 1212 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tru calming vibes for Scampi. I do feel for the little guy; obviously something really traumatic has happened to him at some time, and he can't tell you what it is. I know only too well that a traumatic childhood (puppyhood in his case) can affect you for life.
    LW - Well done on the 'spaghetti' sorting, how do those wires get so tangled when no-one touches them!
    I have a theory that the house-wights are trying to learn to knit.:rotfl:

O! M!! G!!! My PIP forms have arrived. I started shaking before I'd even got them properly out of the envelope, and I'm still shaking.:(
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Afternoon all. My surgery visit this morning resulted in some antibiotics. Yes, it is yet another uti. The two year anniversary of battling with these, and the IC, comes up next month and I am heartily sick of them. Another follow-up appointment with the consultant on the 17th - what a complete waste of time that will be. Also my bp was sky high but the sensible new nurse practitioner knows white coat syndrome when she sees it and has put me on the w/l for a monitor to read it myself at home.

What a pleasant surprise Aldi was this morning. I was expecting a re-run of last Thursday's scrum and it was dead quiet!! As was Iceland which was even quieter! Everyone must be saving themselves for Black Friday!!!

DS has just been to hide 2 X-boxes here till nearer Christmas. One each for GF's boys. One each, says I, can't they share one! DS made me laugh when he said those two couldn't share a Twix!!

Mr TA is still having his afternoon nap and I am awaiting the arrival of the DGDs. A big Bolognese Bake is ready to pop in the oven shortly. They always declare themselves to be starving when they come straight from swimming!

Have a nice evening folks xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Maitane wrote: »
    Oooh JackieO, I forgot to ask how your DGS got on in Snowdonia.

They enjoyed the scenery and said they would return again when the weather was dryer !!! Bless them, very sensibly they had a night in their car wrapped up in their sleeping bags, then scraped together enough between them for a night in the warm at a B&B as the weather was just too awful, even for them to climb the mountain. I am pleased that they wern't daft enough to try climbing as the conditions were apparently dreadful that weekend with 70-80 mph gusts of wind and lashing rain. Ben said the scenery around there was magnificent and they both want to return in the spring. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure