TV licence advice

Options
Hi
My current licence period ends in a couple of months and I don't want to renew it as I no longer watch or record live TV, only Netflix and occasionally catch up but had some questions which I was hoping to get some advice on.

-I plan on covering all the aerial wall sockets with blanking plates however as I live in a rented property I can't do anything about the aerial, is there anything else I should consider doing.

-i watch catch up TV using a now TV box, on the BBC iPlayer app there is the ability to watch live TV (the same as there is via the BBC iPlayer website), how can I prove I don't watch it via this method (I don't)

Thanks for your help

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't have to blank the plates. You don't have to remove the aerial. You don't have to prove that you don't watch TV.
    For your own peace of mind, for proof, unplug the aerial socket (again, you don't HAVE to).
    All you can do about the iPlayer app is stay away from the live part.
  • thefirs
    thefirs Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I speak from a position of no experience but from threads that cover this elsewhere I gather that once you let the licence lapse you start to get intrusive knocks on the door from the enforcement agency engaged by TVL. They are reputed to try and trick you into saying you've watched live TV (doesn't matter if it's over the air or via iplayer) and will then go into "gotcha" mode and you'll find a summons dropping through the letter box - they're paid by the scalps that they gather.

You'll need to issue clear guidelines to any other members of the household about this likely MO.
  • Happy990
    Options
    Thanks guys, I live alone in a flat with an intercom so hopefully I won't even have to see anyone.
  • Justice13075
    Options
    From the Tv licensing web site.

You need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service. This is the case whether you use a TV, computer, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or any other device.

So if you don't watch live Tv or record live Tv for later viewing including on line live Tv on any device you don't need a licence.
  • xHannahx
    xHannahx Posts: 614 Forumite
    Options
    We haven't had a licence since April 2013 as don't watch tv as broadcast.

Don't believe the stories about the investigators coming round, we haven't seen them yet.

Phone tv licence make sure they do the declaration with you. You then receive no contact for 2 years, then you have to redo the declaration, phone them up do it, and you get peace from them for another 2 years.

An exemption declaration last 2 years. You get a letter confirming exemption once the declaration is done,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure