We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

private medical insurance.

Options
Hi, Can anyone help me please. via my employer I am paying into a private medical insurance . but I have just been informed by the tax office that I have to pay extra tax for the privalage. to me this wrong I ( and anyone else paying for medical insurance ) should be having a reduction in tax. I would be greagful for any advice.:confused: :mad:

Comments

• shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry I can't offer any advice except to tell you that its right what the tax office told you. Hubby and his company pay half each for BUPA and he too has to pay extra tax for the privilege. Also I think its a reduction in NI conts that you should get not reduction in tax. Don't think you will have any luck at all though.

Having said that though I had to use BUPA last year, and still am, and they were/are excellent.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    if it is a benefit in kind, then it should be disclosed and tax paid on it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Ian_Kane wrote: »
    I would be greagful for any advice.:confused: :mad:
    My advice would be ... forget it!
    As dunstonh says it's a benefit in kind, like a firm providing a car and allowing private use, that is a taxable perk - so you'd need to change the law. You could lobby your MP but I frankly doubt they'd want to know TBH, whatever political party.
    IIRC in the 80's Mrs T gave tax relief to pensioners for health insurance but that was very short lived. Private health care [insured or self-funded], like private schooling for your kids, is something you can opt to pay for if you wish [and if your employer wants to help - even better] but it's never AFAIK allowed you to opt out or lower that particular part of your income tax, NI or Council Tax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport