MSE News: Barclaycard and Tesco Bank customers given free access to credit scores

Barclaycard customers can access their credit scores for free via Experian, while Tesco Bank's teamed up with Noddle...
Read the full story:

Barclaycard and Tesco Bank customers given free access to credit scores

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• glentoran99glentoran99 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surely noddle is free for everyone anyway? Creative marketing from Tesco there
  • I'm very curious, I've never checked my credit score on Experian. Not sure how useful the Noddle and Clearscore ones are, they seem meaningless to me.

@glentoran99: apparently Tesco is offering the 'paid' version of Noddle, with some 'improve and alert' service feature.
    "It's already free to see your credit report via Noddle, but Tesco Bank says the bespoke 'Noddle improve and alert' service it's offering is worth £50/year. Tesco has confirmed you won't automatically be charged this at the end of the three-year period."
    current CC debt: £11,500 at 0%
    paid debt since Nov 2015: £750
  • SnowTigerSnowTiger Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surely noddle is free for everyone anyway? Creative marketing from Tesco there

Tesco's proffering appears to include Noddle Alerts, which otherwise costs £20 a year and provides "...automatic alerts whenever there's a key change to your credit report and [...] instant access to your latest credit file..".
  • SnowTigerSnowTiger Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    knightley wrote: »
    I'm very curious, I've never checked my credit score on Experian. Not sure how useful the Noddle and Clearscore ones are, they seem meaningless to me.

They're indicative, based on limited information.
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just logged into Barclaycard, where you have to "request" the Experian access, and then wait, maybe a few days, subject to approval.

Sounds suspiciously like I am "applying" to Experian.
    I expect they will be charging me if I'm not careful.

Another PPI scandal about to start?
    Instead of Payment Protection, it's some kind of credit score or identity fraud protection. Sneaking a payment onto the Barclaycard bill, and claim that you clicked, or didn't click a box, perhaps.
  • Nebulous2Nebulous2 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you're being a bit melodramatic there. I've just logged in to have a look, and it says it is free.

"That's why we've partnered with Experian to provide you with access to your Experian Credit Score for free. It will be updated every 60 days and it will give you an idea of what could be affecting your Experian Credit Score."

Updating once in 60 days is quite limited, given you get a full record from Noddle and not just a score. So they might try to get you to upgrade to a paid version but I think the offer will do just what it says.
  • zerogzerog Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like Clearscore.

Obviously I don't care about the actual score (well it doesn't hurt to know it), but the website is designed much better than noddle and there is a lot more information available, in graphical format too.

The barclaycard Experian service isn't that useful though.

Experian makes plenty of money every time a financial institution conducts a search and they probably get paid when your info gets reported to them as well.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    26.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Tesco offering is limited to their Foundation credit card holders not general Tesco Bank customers.
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    I think you're being a bit melodramatic there. I've just logged in to have a look, and it says it is free.

I expect Experian will be sending me invitations to paid services, at least.
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got the e-mail on Sunday, that's rather keen.
    Computer doesn't get paid over-time, obviously.

Anyway, they score out of 999, and I am close to perfection. :j

Over £15k in stoozing hasn't done any harm, at all.
    The perfect repayment history must have helped.

I wonder what kind of person actually gets 999?
    Not the ones that never use their credit card, I'll wager.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals