Accessing dental records

Options
I recently had some dental treatment and my dentist asked me a question about my dental history that I couldn't answer. I referred them to my records but was told they have no info from before I joined the surgery. Despite giving them details of my previous dentist when I joined here they said notes don't get sent on like they do between GPs.

So is my old dentist obliged to keep my NHS dental records permanently, for a specified length of time only or not at all? Just curious now and would like to follow something up and know how to go about it.
We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    You'd issue a Subject Access Request to your old practice
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Options
    I left about 3 years ago, so would they still have my records then?
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know, some keep them longer than others, but a SAR gives you access to all the information they have on you.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    Dentists do have to keep records , the length of time depends on your age etc. In general they are kept for around 11 years for adults and longer for children.

Records are not sent on because most things are obvious looking at your mouth.

You can ask for a copy of your records in writing. There will be a charge (up to £50) and some records eg film X Rays are prohibitively expensive to copy so you will not get copies of those.

If you wish your records to be shared with your new practice eg recent X Rays , you will have to give the surgery written permission to share records.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you been to a few dental practices in the past, or was the last one the only one you've been to before?

It's just that if you've had a few - then the answer you want might not necessarily be in the previous practice's records of you. It might get expensive if you have to ask a few practices for their records.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure