smear test

Options
the advance in testing since I first had one done less than twenty years ago is astounding

back then it was an unpleasant and cold experience with a huge metal implement but definitely worth the two minutes of discomfort to prevent whatever may happen in the future

just back from the surgery and it was probably easier than having a blood sample taken and that's probably easier than brushing your teeth anyway

quick and painless, no discomfort at all and even if there was it would have been worth the piece of mind to know I was doing all I could to prevent any illness in the future

I don't need to mention a certain celebrity who dint and its easy to forget about such things in the news or pretend we don't have enough time to deal with things, get it done !

Comments

• fairy_lights
    Options
    I had my first ever smear test this year, and although I did find it uncomfortable it was all over much quicker than I'd expected. I'd much rather give blood any day of the week though!
    But once it's done it's out of the way for another few years and the peace of mind it gave me that nothing was wrong outweighed the unpleasantness of the smear.
  • rdone
    rdone Posts: 569 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I totally agree, the first time I went (5ish years ago) I was terrified. I ignored the letter for so long that I ended up having a few reminders and felt awful every time.
    So I decided to just go.
    It wasn't as bad as I thought and the peace of mind is brilliant.
    When I got the letter a few years later I rang my doctor and booked the appointment straight away.
    My debt free diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6348513/large-renovation-tiny-budget-lets-go/p1?new=1

Debt: £14,896.33 @ 21/04/2020.
    Down to: £4,982.12 @ 08/06/2022
    Today: £14,256.23
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just want to echo the sentiment and remind all ladies out there that this is an important appointment to go for - its once every 3/5 years and while it may be a pain to sort time off work / away from the kids for the appointment it is very much worth it.

About 7/8 years ago, my results showed abnormal cells so I had a colposcopy/LLETZ procedure. I then had repeat smears at 6 and 12 months after the procedure and then back to the 3 yearly - no more abnormal results but I will still keep going for screening. Had my latest one a few weeks back - still clear.

It really is well worth the few minutes out of a day to help keep yourself healthy.
  • heuchera
    heuchera Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    bluebeary wrote: »
    the advance in testing since I first had one done less than twenty years ago is astounding

back then it was an unpleasant and cold experience with a huge metal implement but definitely worth the two minutes of discomfort to prevent whatever may happen in the future

just back from the surgery and it was probably easier than having a blood sample taken and that's probably easier than brushing your teeth anyway

quick and painless, no discomfort at all and even if there was it would have been worth the piece of mind to know I was doing all I could to prevent any illness in the future

I don't need to mention a certain celebrity who dint and its easy to forget about such things in the news or pretend we don't have enough time to deal with things, get it done !

I am really glad it went ok for you and hope your results will come back as normal. :)

A lot of the time unfortunately these tests are not taken by an experienced person and/or they're not read properly, which can make the whole experience very worrying and even traumatic for the woman concerned. A colleague of mine even picked up an infection having the test done :eek: (presumably the instruments hadn't been sterilised) and another spoke of having the instruments inside her for 50 minutes while the trainee smear taker fumbled around, and eventually had to go and get her superior to take it!!

I personally think the NHS would do better to concentrate on providing a good service to women rather than paying GPs an incentive to pressure their female patients to attend. In countries where healthcare is of a better standard, the attendance for smears is much higher than here (take Germany for example, where 99% of women go for a pap smear. Here it's about 80% I think)
    left the forum due to trolling/other nonsense
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    heuchera wrote: »
    I am really glad it went ok for you and hope your results will come back as normal. :)

A lot of the time unfortunately these tests are not taken by an experienced person and/or they're not read properly, which can make the whole experience very worrying and even traumatic for the woman concerned. Citation needed to back this up please. A colleague of mine even picked up an infection having the test done :eek: (presumably the instruments hadn't been sterilised) how does she know that's where she got it from? and another spoke of having the instruments inside her for 50 minutes while the trainee smear taker fumbled around, and eventually had to go and get her superior to take it!! I very much doubt 50 minutes, and possibly she has a tilted cervix which is hard to get cells from.

I personally think the NHS would do better to concentrate on providing a good service to women rather than paying GPs an incentive to pressure their female patients to attend. In countries where healthcare is of a better standard, the attendance for smears is much higher than here (take Germany for example, where 99% of women go for a pap smear. Here it's about 80% I think)The NHS service is excellent. From abnormal smear to cell removal was six weeks in my case, and they have kept an eye on me since.

The above probably sounds a bit harsh, but the first paragraph in itself is an excellent way to put someone off having a smear. "Pressuring" women to have smears IS part of a good service! The screening can save lives...

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The above probably sounds a bit harsh, but the first paragraph in itself is an excellent way to put someone off having a smear. "Pressuring" women to have smears IS part of a good service! The screening can save lives...

HBS x

Could not agree more.

I prefer the Breast screening system where an appointment is made for you automatically and you have to contact them to cancel/amend.

Most of us are a bit guilty of inertia when it comes to these sort of things.
  • heuchera
    Options

HBS x

Not harsh at all HBS but if it was as good a service as you describe, women would be queueing out the door to have their cervixes checked. It isn't :(

But I can't believe your comment about pressuring women being part of a good service :eek: Surely it must be the patient's own decision. My friend won't even go to the doctor about other matters because she's terrified about being harrassed to have a smear. How on earth is that meant to be good for the patient :(

However, to end on a more positive note it iS possible to get a smear plus HPV check done privately, if you don't mind paying for it. That way you can guarantee almost that the smear will be taken by someone who knows what they're doing (!!) and the results not rush-read by an overworked NHS clerk. It costs about £200-ish, so not cheap, but when it comes to healthcare quality comes first in my opinion.
  • heuchera
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Could not agree more.

I prefer the Breast screening system where an appointment is made for you automatically and you have to contact them to cancel/amend.

Most of us are a bit guilty of inertia when it comes to these sort of things.

Given than patients not attending appointments for whatever reason (they forgot or whatever) is already a huge problem in the NHS and wastes a lot of nurse and doctors time, isn't that just going to add to the problem?

Personally I wouldn't want the mammogram, - there are well-known health risks associated with it which are detailed in the blurb, and I would be mighty annoyed if they took the liberty of assuming consent and making an appointment for me! It would make me even less likely to go, if anything.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Not attending screenings etc is Darwinism in action, IMHO.

Why is your friend so terrified of being harassed for a smear? If she had one, there wouldn't be a problem. And what IS your issue with the NHS? Private medicine only ever caters for the worried well, really. Serious illnesses don't make them money...

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    heuchera wrote: »
    Not harsh at all HBS but if it was as good a service as you describe, women would be queueing out the door to have their cervixes checked. It isn't :(

But I can't believe your comment about pressuring women being part of a good service :eek: Surely it must be the patient's own decision. My friend won't even go to the doctor about other matters because she's terrified about being harrassed to have a smear. How on earth is that meant to be good for the patient :(

However, to end on a more positive note it iS possible to get a smear plus HPV check done privately, if you don't mind paying for it. That way you can guarantee almost that the smear will be taken by someone who knows what they're doing (!!) and the results not rush-read by an overworked NHS clerk. It costs about £200-ish, so not cheap, but when it comes to healthcare quality comes first in my opinion.

Funny that.

My uncle had a private operation and they ended rushing him to an NHS hospital as an emergency when they messed up during the operation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure