Gyms - Please reassure me!

Options
Since moving house and living on an unlit road I can't go running after work anymore.

There is a puregym near me which at £19.99 with free classes and no contract seems to be a good deal.

But I'm nervous of joining, and I'm hoping you'll all reassure me, that the gym isn't scary and it doesn't matter that I'm not terribly fit and I can just go along and work out or take classes without anyone wondering why the hell i am there :o

I just need to grow a pair basically, I have no idea why I am scared!

Comments

• suited-aces
    suited-aces Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are two types of people in the gym:

1) those who are just as insecure as you and are too worried about themselves to worry about you; and

2) those who are super-confident and will be too easy looking after themselves (and admiring themselves!) to worry about you.

Also, puregyms (and most other gyms) do an induction, which will take you through all the machines and help you figure out what you can do.
    I'm not bad at golf, I just get better value for money when I take more shots!
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Is there a reason why you can't still run down an unlit road?
    I run on an unlit road near me, I just have LED arm straps and reflective clothes.
    I do have a head torch, but I have never actually used it as the moonlight is normally good enough to see by.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Gonzo1987
    Gonzo1987 Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    Is there a reason why you can't still run down an unlit road?
    I run on an unlit road near me, I just have LED arm straps and reflective clothes.
    I do have a head torch, but I have never actually used it as the moonlight is normally good enough to see by.

My neighbour was mugged last week, so I really don't feel safe doing so, it's in the middle of nowhere, a private road surrounded by a nature reserve where people drink/hangout etc - we are a mile and a half from any other road/housing etc (great in the summer to get a 5k done!)
  • Credit-Crunched
    Options
    There are two types of people in the gym:

1) those who are just as insecure as you and are too worried about themselves to worry about you; and

2) those who are super-confident and will be too easy looking after themselves (and admiring themselves!) to worry about you.

Also, puregyms (and most other gyms) do an induction, which will take you through all the machines and help you figure out what you can do.

So true, I can assure you, the only person looking at you, is you.

Honestly, they are places where people keep them selves to them selves. If you have any questions on machines, ask the staff. But ultimately just focus on your own goals.

Enjoy
  • Stacemel
    Options
    I found that the pure gym is perfectly fine! Everyone is in there for their own reason and aren't necessarily looking at you!
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Yup, agree wholeheartedly that the only person I care about in the gym is me, and it's the same for everyone else I know :)

Good luck!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Gonzo1987
    Gonzo1987 Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Options
    perfect - thanks everyone. I am going to do this!!
  • cazs
    cazs Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No-one cares...
    It's good.
    I feel totally comfortable in the gym.
    I might suggest that for your first session you avoid weekdays 5pm to 8pm as it's really busy then so at least you can settle in whilst it's quiet.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No one cares about anyone else, everyone else concentrates on themselve's. Just focus on what you want from the gym.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Buy a treadmill.make sure its strong enough.jog in your own home watching telly at the same time if you must.night time jogging can be scary.I jog around unlit industrial estates or busy dual carriageways just to keep away from the normal streetlife
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure