£1 a day food challenge

Options
I try to follow this (5yrs) its vegetarian and nutritionally complete, and about £1 a day or less!;

Breakfast : teszcorp value cornflakes (31p a box) + milk
Lunch : tesco value porridge (75p per kilo) + boiling water
Supper: tesco value baked beans, about 32p a can, microwave it

Unmetered tap water for drinks :beer:

Comments

• heartbreak_star
    Options
    No protein.

No fruit.

No vegetables.

Not nutritionally complete.

Awful diet.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You might find inspiration from books like the Moneyless Man and How I lived a year on just £1 a day
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Errrm...wondering if OP is serious:rotfl:. I rather think he is having a joke at our expense actually...
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Op will have to go to the library to borrow those books Avogadro, if he can only afford the 31p cornflakes he'll never afford to buy a book.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    Cost of replacement microwave after you blow it up trying to cook a tin of beans: £60.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I try to follow this (5yrs) its vegetarian and nutritionally complete, and about £1 a day or less!;

Breakfast : teszcorp value cornflakes (31p a box) + milk
    Lunch : tesco value porridge (75p per kilo) + boiling water

Unmetered tap water for drinks :beer:

How is that nutritionally complete?

Even if you claim the the cereals to be fortified to get the essential vitamins and minerals we need it's extremely boring.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I read about someone who won't eat anything except baked beans:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/what-happens-you-eat-nothing-5727391

The dietician said it wasn't too bad, so I reckon the cereal &milk cover the rest of it. Baked beans are 2 of your 5 a day (who ever eats 5?) and a source of protein alongside the milk (baby taught me that milk covers everything). Its low in cholesterol and fat. Occasionally buy reduced fruit & veg from local supermeerkats. Boring I don't mind too much, just saving up. Living just off porridge or bread or 16p spaghetti hoops would be cheaper but less nutritious.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I read about someone who won't eat anything except baked beans:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/what-happens-you-eat-nothing-5727391

The dietician said it wasn't too bad, so I reckon the cereal &milk cover the rest of it. Baked beans are 2 of your 5 a day (who ever eats 5?) and a source of protein alongside the milk (baby taught me that milk covers everything). Its low in cholesterol and fat. Occasionally buy reduced fruit & veg from local supermeerkats. Boring I don't mind too much, just saving up. Living just off porridge or bread or 16p spaghetti hoops would be cheaper but less nutritious.

Milk is actually high in fat and cholesterol. Milk is 4% fat. If you drank a pint of it 568ml you'd get about 23 grams of fat which is actually quite a lot. It's also got 5mg/100ml of cholesterol. If it were low in fats and cholesterol then butter and cheese both made from milk should also be low in both but they are also very high.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Baked beans are 2 of your 5 a day (who ever eats 5?)

Who ever eats 5 ?
    I thought that as well.
    Surely most people eat a lot more than 5 fruit or veg a day.
    Lets see, i had a handful of mixed dried fruit on my cereal this morning; had a sandwich at lunchtime which had salad on it and an apple for afters; then during the afternoon for nibbles i've had 2 carrots; I've just had HM pizza for tea that was piled with various veg and i had some more salad with that. Oh i had HM vege soup for starters. Later on tonight i'll probably have another apple and an orange.
    Just a very average day, how many is there.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • cashewnut
    Options
    No protein.

No fruit.

No vegetables.

Not nutritionally complete.

Awful diet.

HBS x

Beans and milk are good protein sources but I completely agree with the rest of this.

OP, how about some fruit and veg from aldi/lidl? What about other cheap pulses such as lentils, kidney or black eyed beans? Your body will thank you :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure