We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Can they email it?

Options
Hi

My daughter passed her driving test on Monday :eek: .

She has bought a car and we organised insurance over the net with Quinn Direct on Wednesday.

Today, the policy still hasn't come and she is chomping at the bit to get it taxed and driving us round the bend.

The offices are not too far away and I am wondering what do you think the probability is of them letting her go and collect the cover note? If not, do you think they would email it to her?

She is just waiting till the office opens and then she will phone, but I wondered if there were any thoughts. (and please, no "she shouldn't be so impatient, she should wait, maybe she should, but she doesn't want to!!!)

Thanks, Carol x

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't an email will be of any use as you generally need to take the original certificate to the PO.

Might be worth a call to collect it - but don't forget the PO closes at lunchtime.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    You can tax your vehicle online or by phone, but this would depend on the DVLA's database showing it was insured. I don't know how long it takes the data to get from the insurer to the DVLA. Also, you might still be technically illegal until the tax disc arrives and you display it in the car.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_069680
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    You probably won't be able to tax the vehicle online or over the phone yet if the policy was incepted on Wednesday (as it takes up to 5 working days for the Motor Insurance Database to be updated), and as mentioned you need to present an original document in the Post Office.

Worth a shot asking if you can collect it from the insurer's office. There should be no problem with this.
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wouldnt be so sure- customers on their premises is something they probably dont have either insurance or secuirty for.

There is also the issue of where the certificates are actually printed, as it possibly wont be where you think it is.
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    FlameCloud wrote: »
    I wouldnt be so sure- customers on their premises is something they probably dont have either insurance or secuirty for.

Surely they will have a reception area for these purposes? I'm sure that they won't need to lead the customer into the darkest depths of the building to collect it from the printer itself! ;)

Documents may well be batch processed for normal posting at another site but any site that deals with customer service will generally have the facility to print certificates.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Plus if you tax it before NEXT Saturday,i.e the 1st of the month, you will have to pay for ALL of August, as tax runs from the beginning of the month in arrears,if bought before the end of the month, although I think you could tax it on the last day of the month to start on the first of the next month?

From the link in #3 above:-
    If you want the tax disc to start on the first day of the next calendar month, you cannot tax your vehicle more than two days in advance.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Online might well be possible - as has been said, it depends on how long it takes for the database to be updated. In my case, I renewed my car tax within hours of renewing my insurance!

BUT ...... I thought the legal requirement was to display a valid tax disc in the vehicle - having one "in the post" (which would be the case if you bought online) is not good enough.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    needs to be an original certificate to tax at PO counters.
    as said even if its taxed online you can still get fined for not displaying.
    i would just wait and tax it for the 1st
  • cazziej
    cazziej Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. Conclusion is that when she rang, (main office is in Ireland) they said she could go in person and collect it locally. So, of we trot, offices are CLOSED!!!!

She then phones them back and asks them to email it to her. They said they couldn't email, but could fax. So she gives her works fax number and dashes into work; no fax. She rings them back and they said it could take an hour to arrive! In the meantime, she goes to the Post Office to make sure they would accept a faxed cover note - no they wouldn't. So she gives up. I just hope it arrives on Tuesday or else I am investing in some ear plugs!!

Another thing, her dad bought the car from a small garage. When my daughter comes to fill in her part of the log book as the new owener, she noticed that the previous owner hadn't signed it. Husband phoned garage and he said not to worry, it doesn't matter as they are trade. Does this sound right?:confused:

Thanks, Carol
    d
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    I know this is no use this time, but whenever I've bought a used car there has either been some tax left on it or the dealer has offered to tax it for me before I collected it. As far as I remember I didn't have to provide any paperwork for the dealer to do this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport