🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Claiming JSA / Family Bereavement

Options
Hi, I hope someone can give me some advice.

My dad died suddenly yesterday. I'm currently claiming JSA and don't really know what to do. I cannot think straight and have barely slept, and don't think I could cope with interviews etc. at the moment. I also need to be around to help my Mum with all the arrangements etc. (I'm the only child).

If I say to JCP that there has been a close family bereavement would they allow "time off", or do I need to be signed off by a Doctor? If so, would I still get JSA or would I need to apply for another benefit?

Thanks in advance.
Destroying Debt in 2018 - New Job, New Attitude!
Current figures (as of 01.01.2018) Next £30.00 | Nationwide Credit Card £700.00 | Virgin Credit Card (0%) £2950.00 | Barclaycard (0%) £1150.00
Guinea Pig Enthusiast ~ Bookworm ~ Crafty So'n'So ~ Introvert
Refuse | Reduce | Reuse | Recycle

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can still be treated as actively seeking work if you have a family bereavement

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/470844/dmgch21.pdf

scroll down to 21690 specifically 21716

You should inform your job coach/advisor.

If there are any difficulties (there shouldn't be) then you can get a fit note from your doctor and take a period of sickness and still keep JSA.
  • Thanks pmlindyloo
    Current figures (as of 01.01.2018) Next £30.00 | Nationwide Credit Card £700.00 | Virgin Credit Card (0%) £2950.00 | Barclaycard (0%) £1150.00
  • oneofmillions768
    Options
    My son had kindly been given a sanction for having the audacity to comfort his siblings after losing their Grandparent.

Don't trust them for one minute. Had to send a strongly worded letter for appeal to overturn the sanction.

Get everything written down, as your evidence
  • Metamorphic_Furniture
    Metamorphic_Furniture Posts: 13 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 16 November 2015 at 11:50PM
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Oneofmillions768.
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    I think taking a week to make arrangement etc is quite sufficient. It is more than most employees will be given. Very sad, but life does go on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport