IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Norfolk Parking Enforcement - advice please!

Options
snoozysue85
snoozysue85 Posts: 15 Forumite
edited 15 November 2015 at 9:42AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi,
The driver of my car received a windscreen ticket the other night and I'm petrified as I really can't afford to pay it. NPE charge £60 if paid in 14 days otherwise it's £100. I really hate being bullied for money so shall I just pay up? The incident was outside a surgery when it was closed for the night and it was dark. There was a notice the driver was vaguely aware of but they were in a rush and assumed it only applied during office hours so didn't look closely. On the other hand if this is not legal (and it seems a bit unfair even if the notice is legitimate) I probably shouldn't give in. Do I have good enough grounds for an appeal? Will I probably have to pay the full £100 because if so, I'd rather pay £60? I have read the sticky but I'm confused about whether I have grounds to appeal and I'm terrified I'll go through all the stress of it, only to face a crippling fine I really can't afford.
What should I do?

Comments

• enfield_freddy
    Options
    chill Sue , its not a fine , its an unsolicited begging letter .

others will add to this , basically unless they can LEGALY prove you owe them money they can sod off

do not fill in the appeal form or pay , until people who have dealt with this company reply .
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,973 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 15 November 2015 at 2:26AM
    Options
    Hi,
    THE DRIVER OF MY CAR received a windscreen ticket the other night and I'm petrified as I really can't afford to pay it. NPE charge £60 if paid in 14 days otherwise it's £100. I really hate being bullied for money so shall I just pay up?
    NO.
    Do I have good enough grounds for an appeal? Will I probably have to pay the full £100 because if so, I'd rather pay £60?
    DON'T.
    I have read the sticky but I'm confused about whether I have grounds to appeal and I'm terrified I'll go through all the stress of it, only to face a crippling fine I really can't afford.
    What should I do?
    Appeal as keeper around day 25, online to NPE. As per the NEWBIES thread, using the template (do not add to it, do not offer money, do not change anything). But what you do need to change is to edit your first post above, to remove details about who was driving/what happened. EDIT IT NOW.

You will have to try very, very, very hard to lose against NPE at POPLA (see Newbies thread for acronyms). They are this bunch of scumbags:

http://www.norwichgreenparty.org/assets/files/localparties/norwich/private-parking.pdf

...and it's pretty easy to expose their 'evidence' and case as codswallop at POPLA stage.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Are NPE strictly kosher? ISTR some dirt being attached to them, Companies House stuff?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • snoozysue85
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I have edited the post as advised. So I wait for day 25. Will I receive a notice to keeper by then? And I don't offer any driver details whatever the pressure right? I use the template as is without any alterations and wait for a POPLA reference.
    Can I post again when it reaches that stage? I'm really scared about being pursued for money (I have long term severe depression and anxiety) so I'm really nervous about fighting this. On the other hand, I think you should stand up to bullies.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You may be mistaken in that

Mr Lecaille said: “We want to protect the footfall for businesses so when customers want to use shops they have somewhere to park. As a company, we don’t rely on the income from the money generated from issuing parking notices.

“While it was perfectly legal – because the landowner has the right (to control parking) – we felt it was unethical and damaging to our industry and our own business.

“I felt extremely uncomfortable. I didn’t think it was fair. I was watching people parking (via the CCTV images) and a little old lady pulled up to buy a paper and a pint of milk from a shop she might have used for seven years. I thought it was awful that a person could be charged £100 because they didn’t read a sign.”

http://www.derehamtimes.co.uk/news/parking_prevention_signs_removed_from_outside_convenience_store_and_chinese_takeway_1_1490476
  • snoozysue85
    Options
    Sorry what am I mistaken about?
    Thought I would go back and take a photo of the notice and the area when it's dark. The notice is not well lit and the area is deserted once the surgery is closed. The driver of my car really wasn't preventing anyone from parking there for legitimate purposes. Ironically the driver moved the car from a time limited street space just in case they were penalised for overstaying the time limit!
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I have edited the post as advised. So I wait for day 25. Will I receive a notice to keeper by then? And I don't offer any driver details whatever the pressure right? I use the template as is without any alterations and wait for a POPLA reference.
    Can I post again when it reaches that stage? I'm really scared about being pursued for money (I have long term severe depression and anxiety) so I'm really nervous about fighting this. On the other hand, I think you should stand up to bullies.

The idea is to send an appeal as keeper so late that the PPC forgets to send a NTK but not late enough to miss the appeal deadline. No NTK means it must by definition be non-POFA compliant, a winning point at PoPLA.

So, copy and paste the appeal template from the NEWBIES thread exactly as it is. Print your name and sign it with a squiggle.

You have time I think to read and re-read the NEWBIES thread a few more times to get your head around the parking scamdustry and what you can legally do to beat unfair parking tickets.

Tell all your friends and family about this as well.

Do not pay, do not ignore, do not reveal who was driving, do not miss the appeal deadline, never, ever 'phone a prarking company.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Fruitcake
    Options
    Sorry what am I mistaken about?
    Thought I would go back and take a photo of the notice and the area when it's dark. The notice is not well lit and the area is deserted once the surgery is closed. The driver of my car really wasn't preventing anyone from parking there for legitimate purposes. Ironically the driver moved the car from a time limited street space just in case they were penalised for overstaying the time limit!

I don't think the "mistaken" comment was aimed at you.
  • snoozysue85
    snoozysue85 Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2015 at 11:18AM
    Options
    Phoning would be difficult and they don't allow appeals to be phoned! The phone is strictly provided for payment only.
    I will email the template 25 days after the ticket was issued and see what happens.
    Is it worth writing to the dentist surgery? The driver wasn't a patient but then no-one was as they were definitely closed at the time. Would they just say it was the driver's fault or would they want to know that NPE are using aggressive ticketing on their land, even when they are not there? I believe they own the freehold of the parking space.
  • Fruitcake
    edited 15 November 2015 at 12:08PM
    Options
    Phoning would be difficult and they don't allow appeals to be phoned! The phone is strictly provided for payment only.
    I will email the template 25 days after the ticket was issued and see what happens.
    Is it worth writing to the dentist surgery? The driver wasn't a patient but then no-one was as they were definitely closed at the time. Would they just say it was the driver's fault or would they want to know that NPE are using aggressive ticketing on their land, even when they are not there? I believe they own the freehold of the parking space.

It doesn't matter what the 'phone number is for, by ringing them you may inadvertently give away who was driving. That's why the advice is to never 'phone them.

Unless you had permission to park on the dentists land, I wouldn't contact them at all as it may make things worse.

When you send the appeal, take a screenshot of the email so you have proof it was sent on a certain date and time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business