MSE News: Co-op Energy blames IT problems as it tops complaints list

in Energy
7 replies 1.9K views
The Ombudsman Services received 136 complaints per 100,000 customers about Co-op Energy in the three months to September...
Read the full story:

Co-op Energy blames IT problems as it tops complaints list

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you can rely on anything from the Ombudsman it's that they will be well behind the curve. We've known about this, in qualitative terms, for months.

Well done the Ombudsman service for finally catching up with the rest of us.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • davidgmmafandavidgmmafan Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Here we have yet another supplier who moved to a new billing system which had the potential to transform their service and blah blah blah. This mean we can add them to the list of suppliers who had massive problems after moving to a new billing system - British Gas, EDF, Npower and Scottish Power.

Ofgem seems unconcerned about this, but the most charitable explanation is that they are completely inept.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • edited 13 November 2015 at 10:36PM
    ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 November 2015 at 10:36PM
    . . . Ofgem seems unconcerned about this, but the most charitable explanation is that they are completely inept.
    Ofgem, I think, are inept by design. Their first concern is the well-being of the energy market. Their relationship with the energy suppliers is, frankly, a bit too cosy for my liking.

They spent two years with their heads up where the sun doesn't shine to come up with next to nothing for the consumer and transforming their view of the so-called complexity of tariffs into the dogs dinner of new licence conditions which now misleads consumers on the cost of a tariff.

Fortunately, or otherwise, they are now being ignored and their catastrophic Retail Market Review is being replaced.

The only remaining question in my mind is when will Ofgem itself be replaced.
  • The situation has not improved, they are still seem incapable of actually getting anything done.
    Worst supplier I've ever been with by a big margin.
  • davidgmmafandavidgmmafan Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Ofgem, I think, are inept by design. Their first concern is the well-being of the energy market. Their relationship with the energy suppliers is, frankly, a bit too cosy for my liking.

They spent two years with their heads up where the sun doesn't shine to come up with next to nothing for the consumer and transforming their view of the so-called complexity of tariffs into the dogs dinner of new licence conditions which now misleads consumers on the cost of a tariff.

Fortunately, or otherwise, they are now being ignored and their catastrophic Retail Market Review is being replaced.

The only remaining question in my mind is when will Ofgem itself be replaced.

I quite agree and looking at just a couple of issues backs this up. Take gas sculpting. Ofgem received a complaint from energy watch, they said they ran out of time (which there was some dispute about) and, in any event, customers would only be about £8 worse off (on average). Later on Consumer Focus had a go and, despite having no real power, just the threat of taking it to court produced a much better outcome for customers.

Also the review you mentioned. I have a reasonable understanding of tariffs etc having worked in the industry. I have no clue what the TCR is for and how it is supposed to help customers in any way. The only thing I can think of that might help, other than replacing Ofgem as you suggest, is having ONE price per unit. Consumers understand this.

The tariff simplification has not worked as standing charges penalize low users just like the tiered tariffs did. Indeed in some instances it has actually made customers worse off. As usual Ofgem's response on the matter has been feeble. They merely said that companies can set the standing charge at any amount hey want, including zero, why no just order them to do away with it?
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • I cannot describe the ineptitude of Co-operative energy. We have had an ongoing dispute with them for over two years now and they have messed up every single step of the way.

Having tried to go through all the right channels we finally took it to the ombudsman (who are moving at glacial speed) and yet the Co-Op referred us to a debt collection agency who have sent us threatening letters on a bill six weeks old!

DO NOT USE THEM - the worst customer service I have ever had anywhere.
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    swallace1 wrote: »
    I cannot describe the ineptitude of Co-operative energy. We have had an ongoing dispute with them for over two years now and they have messed up every single step of the way.
    This is an old thread. Your post might get more attention if you post in the <Co-op Energy feedback> thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides