Drug no longer made in UK - how to source?

Options
marlot
marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 9 November 2015 at 8:16AM in Disability money matters
For the last five years, I've been taking a drug which has transformed my life. It's cheap, and available on the NHS.

It's produced as a quick release and a modified release (MR) version. The modified release version works much better for my condition. As it's a genetic condition, my whole family are on the drug.

Unfortunately, the UK manufacturer stopped making the modified release version earlier in the year. All that the pharmacies (I've tried several) can offer me is the quick release.

An equivalent MR (made by other manufacturers) is available in other countries, but not in the UK it seems. My pharmacy did see if it was available as a parallel import, but didn't manage to turn anything up.

Does anyone know how I can go about getting the MR version available from a UK pharmacist?

Comments

• Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can your 'disease charity' put any pressure on, share any information etc?

It is possible to have custom made tablets to a presciption but this is incredibly expensive and most doctors try to avoid but can be useful if allergens are present in the off the shelf forms.

Have you explored all other MR types just in case ne is suitable? Tedious and slow but might help.

What is the reason for production stopping..if its a health risk are you better off with an alternative.

When we struggle to stock my meds (the factory ha ddifficulties and they just didnt make my brand) I phoned all the local pharmacies and a few online ones looking for alternatives, this takes ages, but each pharmacy seems to be restricted to who they can buy from as a supplier with contracts and all that so phoning a few gave me more options.

Good luck..I know how distressig it can be when a med you rely on for quality of life suddenly vanishes
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Cyclamen.

The drug is Salbutamol. As used in asthma inhalers. But I'm taking it in tablet form for a muscle condition, rather than respiratory - so an 'unlicensed purpose'.

Its sold across Europe and the rest of the world, but it seems I cannot get my hands on it in the UK.

Tempted to buy it over the internet from Egypt or the like - but that still requires a prescription.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is the online pharmacy used by many people in the States because the meds are so expensive there. I've used them as well and they seem efficient and reliable.

They sell Salbutamol tablets but I haven't checked whether or not they're MT but they have a good helpline. You could get a private prescription as you seem to need one.

http://www.alldaychemist.com/theo-asthalin-forte.html
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,611 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 9 November 2015 at 5:51PM
    Options
    I'd research licensing and regulatory bodies of any foreign pharmacy, and perform the usual checks I always recommend when buying from an online UK pharmacy.

If you can order them then importing drugs may be a issue. It may be something which is barred or likely to be seized & destroyed by Customs.

I'd be talking to your GP and or Consultant before trying to import drugs from abroad.
  • naf123
    naf123 Posts: 1,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have this issue. An UK private Dr prescription can (*should*) be used in pharmacies throughout Europe, but I am not sure if Salbutamol m/r is even available in Europe.

Have you tried contacting Chiesi Medical information line (0161 488 5555) - as the manufactuers of the Ventmax SR , they might have some ideas/ access to database which tell them whereabouts in Europe there are alternatives.....and then you can narrow down your search from there on.

European pharmacies are very very safe and highly regulated....so if you can source it from Europe, thats great!

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport