We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fence quote

Hello,

I got quoted for a new garden fence, which is roughly 18m long I think. All my current posts will be used and I am also getting a gate fitted as well.

Not sure what type of fence you call it, but it's not a panel. It has rails and slats. He will be using pressure treated timber.

I've been quoted £485 and it will be completed in 1 day.

Is that reasonable?

Cheers

Comments

  • I just came on here to look - I was quoted £795 for 18 metres of chain link fence, 5 feet high - I do need the posts....seems hugely expensive to me
  • So that is what 9 panels and a gate? That will cost £200 or a bit more. So just under £300 for labour. 2 blokes. 1 day. As long as they do a good job. Fair enough.
  • Thanks for replies

    I've since had another quote for the same work, except this time the company said renewing the posts was a bad idea as they'll probably be rotten.

    For all the works he has quoted me £980, which is 18mtr fence including posts and then a gate, which he said was £100. So £880 for the fence work and then plus £100 for the gate.

    Not sure what to believe now.

    Any advice?
  • Sorry, do you mean the second quote included replacing the posts? And the first one didn't?

    This is me as a DIYer talking, not a pro, so I defer to any comments they make. If it were me having a fence done, I would look at the posts currently there. Look at the base of the posts. Is there any rot around the bottom? I would also push on the posts (quite hard) to see if there is any movement. If there is no rot visible and the posts are solid and don't move, I would not replace the posts.

    £980 doesn't seem unreasonable including posts as it will then probably become a 2 day job plus the extra materials.

    Whichever you decide, get the other to quote for the same thing. E.g. Go back to #1 and ask for a price including posts.
  • Sorry, yes the second quote included all new posts whereas the first one was simply using the existing posts. I accidentally wrote renewing instead of reusing.

    The second quote said the posts would be rotten whereas the first guy said they were fine. The first guy is a trusted trader on my councils website so I imagine he's a reasonable guy with a good reputation. It's thrown me as they both have such conflicting opinions.

    I'll get the first guy to requote for posts as well.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.