We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mellon Cars

Hi,


I have a Hyundai car that I bought from John Mulholland but I was thinking of getting it serviced by Mellons as I moved to Bangor. A colleague said they don't have a great reputation and I'd be better to go to Hursts, I thought Hursts were expensive? Could anyone recommend a local garage that could do a good job?
«1

Comments

  • dmxdave
    dmxdave Posts: 1,609 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    How old is the car and what service is it?

    Unless Hursts have changed dramatically I would avoid!
    Dave
  • The car is 2 years old and it would be a full service
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    I'd get the ferry to Scotland if Hurst were the last garage in NI.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,187 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 6 November 2015 at 9:56AM
    Mellons are fine , but any Independent can do it does not have to a Hyundai dealer

    As long as the garage follows the maker’s service schedule and uses original equipment parts, the warranty is OK


    .
  • D.A.
    D.A. Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Your colleague recommended Hursts?

    Presumably that's the colleague who sits in the corner in a straitjacket?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,650 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ballyblack wrote: »
    Mellons are fine , but any Independent can do it.

    As long as the garage follows the maker’s service schedule and uses original equipment parts, the warranty is OK


    .

    For the sake of a few £ yearly, i'd be very wary of that.

    Those cars have at least a five year warranty on them, and if there is anything major happens where they may be debate, the manufacturer wont provide any goodwill gesture if it doesnt have a full main dealer history.

    Also, you miss out on potential software updates, safety recalls, the anti corrosion checks and smaller but equally significant service items that your "i've done you a oil and filter service mate" type garage will miss.

    Plus come resale time, if you're wanting to trade in to a main dealer again, they wont retail a car that doesnt have a full manufacturer history, so they'll be offering your a lower auction price, and even if you do sell privately, your car is going to be less appealing with a "joe bloggs garage" scrawl in the service history (if joe bloggs remembers to stamp the book for you) than if its been with a main dealer.

    Yes, if the car is out of warranty, or close to being out of warranty, its worth considering, but not on such a fresh car with such a long time to run on the warranty.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,187 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I agree motorguy.

    I was just outlining the options
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    D.A. wrote: »
    Your colleague recommended Hursts?

    Presumably that's the colleague who sits in the corner in a straitjacket?

    What's wrong with them? Pm me if you need to avoid a libel case.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    What's wrong with them? Pm me if you need to avoid a libel case.


    Maybe they could sue this review website too.


    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews107367.html


    1.5 starts out of 5


    53 1 star reviews
  • WJL
    WJL Posts: 22 Forumite
    I purchased my Hyundai from Mellons new in 2012. I have had it serviced for 3 years and the annual health check 3 times. I can say that I have had no problems, either with Mellons or my Hyundai. However, every owner will feel that they are being slightly ripped-off by service charges, or that all the claimed service work has not been done. Simply the box has ben ticked on the report. I intend to use Mellons until the end of the 5 year warranty, as I feel that, even though an independant garage can perform a service, the potential hassle with any warranty issues (even down to the brand and type of oil used) would not be worth the hassle.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.