We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

How to keep fresh flowers fresh?

Options
2»

Comments

• shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Was just going to put a drop of bleach in both vases but had a thought....Iv'e got some pink plastic nuggets in my vases as they are clear glass and the nuggets make them look a bit more attractive rather than just seeing the stems....anyway....will the bleach have any effect on these? I'm thinking about doing a test one. Just one nugget in some water and bleach for a couple of weeks but if any of you have experience it will save me waiting the 2 weeks.

Thanks
  • Emma37
    Emma37 Posts: 411 Forumite
    Options
    shelly wrote: »
    Thanks all for the advice.

I'd thought of the florist but didn't think they would sell me any. I'll pop in to one next time I'm in town.

And I'd never in a million years thought of bleach!!

Thanks again all and I'll defo be trying which suits best.

This is the flower food I've had from my local florist. Flowers are expensive, so it's worth paying for the real stuff rather than using cheaper solutions.

250_250_LiquidFlowerFood.JPG
    Click to enlarge
    pixel_trans.gifChrysal Clear Flower Food
    £1.99 The liquid form of the Chrysal Clear sachets of flower food.
    Dilute with water to increase the vase life of cut flowers by an average 50%. The liquid food provides flowers with sufficient food to help buds to open and keeps the water clear, clean and odourless. Ideal for use in crystal and cut glass vases.
    Perfect for flower arrangements using floral foam.
    250ml bottle
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Emma37 for taking the time to post that. I'll definately ask in a florist next time I'm in town.
    I don't need it when I buy flowers from a supermarket but sometimes I buy from the local market and they, unfortunately, don't come with flower food!

Thnaks again everybody :beer:
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aspirin ! soluble ones !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income