Handing motability car back to buy my own

Options
I will be handing my motability car back soon because of financial troubles, My esa was stopped so for the moment i have no other income, It will be cheaper for me to hand my car back and buy a cheap run around with the refund from the advanced payment and be able to use the £50 per week.

Now im a little confused about the new car rules, From what i have heard when you buy a car you have to tax it straight away, how do i go about taxing it in the disabled class the same day i purchase the car?

Comments

• Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Options
    I think you have to buy it and then get a refund from dwp
    someone should be along with better information tho
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • mandyboops1973
    Options
    I thought that might be the case, that won't be a problem just want to know for sure, Ill check back on this thread to see if anybody has a definite answer other wise ill just ring the DWP would rather not have to sit waiting on the phone for ages if i don;t need to though. :)
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You'll need to ring DVLA if this and associated pages doesn't answer your questions
    https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vehicles-and-transport

Are you sure that Motability will release you from the Contract for this financial reason (I really hope they will)? http://www.motability.co.uk/cars-and-wavs/customer-area/ending-your-agreement-cars#tab=tab-1&
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 November 2015 at 7:31PM
    Options
    Can you get a refund of the advance payment from Motability? I've never heard anybody mention it ...

eta. I've just found it, they say they "may pay part or all of the advance payment" - so you don't know yet whether you'll get enough to buy a car.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Advanced payments are not refundable in there entirety but you...May receive a portion of it on surrender.
  • pstuart
    pstuart Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    If you do get permission to have an early return, because you want out, and if they do grant a refund of the advance payment then it will be on a 'pro rata' basis, eg. halfway through the term will get you half of your advance payment back.

An early return to change to another Motabilty vehicle, because your current car is proving to be unsuitable, will get you a partial return of the AP.

However, we are drifting away from the original question (again).
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I will be handing my motability car back soon because of financial troubles, My esa was stopped so for the moment i have no other income, It will be cheaper for me to hand my car back and buy a cheap run around with the refund from the advanced payment and be able to use the £50 per week.

Now im a little confused about the new car rules, From what i have heard when you buy a car you have to tax it straight away, how do i go about taxing it in the disabled class the same day i purchase the car?
    Take all your proof (including your DLA/PIP award) to any post office that issues car tax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure