Buy online or from the vet?

Options
My mum has just bought drugs for anxiety for my dog from the vet. I thought they were expensive when she told me the cost, but doubly so when I found out how much I could have got them for off the internet.

The sites seem reputable enough, so can I assume they are the real deal, just a lot cheaper?
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When you get drugs from the vets, you are paying for the expertise of the vet plus his/her premises. Some medication will be prescription only, and you can buy these direct on-line, by getting a prescription from your vet (which you will have to pay for) and sending that to the on-line company, which does not have the overheads that your vet has.

As long as you are buying from a UK company, you will be fine.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,416 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Make sure the company are VMD Accredited

(Veterinary Medicines Directorate)
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A lot of vets now charge to write a prescription, if you're not buying the drugs from them. You'll need the prescription to send in to the online shop, assuming it's a prescription-only medicine.

Our vet charges £12 to write a prescription, if you want to take it away to fill elsewhere. Coincidentally, they charge about £12 more than online shops for medicines, so you don't save money by buying online.

However, I know people who use different vets and do get prescriptions to have filled online, as their vet charges a lot more than online shops so it's still worth them doing.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pinkteapot wrote: »
    A lot of vets now charge to write a prescription, if you're not buying the drugs from them. You'll need the prescription to send in to the online shop, assuming it's a prescription-only medicine.

Our vet charges £12 to write a prescription, if you want to take it away to fill elsewhere. Coincidentally, they charge about £12 more than online shops for medicines, so you don't save money by buying online.

However, I know people who use different vets and do get prescriptions to have filled online, as their vet charges a lot more than online shops so it's still worth them doing.

I doubt there is any gain for one off treatments, now vets are allowed to charge for the script, but there is saving for long term treatments as you can have up to 3 months' supply , under Cascade rules and the document is valid for 6 months, so if you find a company that doesn't charge for delivery, you an buy in instalments.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    1) Is this a prescription only meds?

If not, you can get it safely online from REPUTABLE pet pharmacy, not just any online retailer and definitely not ebay and the likes.

Please check:

www.animeddirect.co.uk

www.vetuk.co.uk

2) If it is prescription only, you will need one from the vets (they will charge for it) and then upload it to your account on the pet pharmacy (see the 2 obove) website and buy this way.
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's Zylkene and looks like I can buy it online. Will make a note to buy it in October next year.

I'm not even sure if it will do any good. Have seen some reviews about it making their dog less aggressive towards other dogs, but I mainly want it to stop the fear and non-stop shaking if my dog hears a firework.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • libf
    libf Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Options
    I get Zylkene online for my cats. Cheapest I've found is http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Products/IZ1075/zylkene-for-dogs-and-cats and going through QuidCo for cashback too.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's Zylkene and looks like I can buy it online. Will make a note to buy it in October next year.

I'm not even sure if it will do any good. Have seen some reviews about it making their dog less aggressive towards other dogs, but I mainly want it to stop the fear and non-stop shaking if my dog hears a firework.

Animed and other vet pharmacies have free online advice about firework effects on pets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport