Help to keep me honest

Options

Comments

• glass_half_full
    Options
    It's great to have plans for after DFD as to where the money goes. Mine will be going towards saving for retirement, I don't want to work until I am 66 or later , aiming for 60.

Hi Cumbria!
    My thoughts are turning to retirement too. Or at least being in a position to choose what I do. I am aiming for 60, may be even between 55 and 60 depending on how a few things turn out. Do you think you will be able to stop at 60? :)
    Aiming to early retire in April 2025 - DC pension currently £350k 
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am very much hoping to finish at 60 but my problem is I rent and this is my stumbling block . I always knew it would be an issue eventually so am hoping to go part time at the very least. I will be a left a house by my parents as long as they don't need to sell . However you can't rely on that , not even if my dad says stop worrying about retirement you will have all this soon! Bless him.

Just going to save what I can , see what my pension is like at 60 and take it from there .
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    I am very much hoping to finish at 60 but my problem is I rent and this is my stumbling block . I always knew it would be an issue eventually so am hoping to go part time at the very least. I will be a left a house by my parents as long as they don't need to sell . However you can't rely on that , not even if my dad says stop worrying about retirement you will have all this soon! Bless him.

Just going to save what I can , see what my pension is like at 60 and take it from there .
    Hi Cumbria,
    That's interesting. It must be good to know that you have that security behind you though. My FIL says things like that to us when we are around there on a Sunday from time to time! It will be good to have more options and be able to decide what to do at 60.
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Good morning diary and all,
    Heard from DS yesterday and he is coming home at the weekend. It will be nice to see him and we will probably break the not eating out ban and go to our local indian restaurant. Always get more news out of him over a meal! All is steady on the money front, keeping on with the meal planning, shopping to that list, taking lunch to work, generally avoiding spending as much as possible. Ordered the replacement SIM card so plan to give one months notice to cancel current phone contract on Friday.
    Have a great day all!
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Yesterday finally gave notice and cancelled my mobile phone contract and moved to Sim only at £10 per month. This is the first time I haven’t had a phone payment for 4 years, can’t believe I bought into that for so long but anyway, finally free of that and it is such a good feeling. Now just OHs contract which finishes June 2018 and then we will all be on sim only. I also received the first letter back from the credit card companies confirming that the first account is closed. This one was my very first card I have had since forever so it is a great feeling too.
    Now my focus has shifted to the last area for savings in our budget, my car. We only have one car. The car is old (13 years). Has done 140,000 miles and is paid off. Unfortunately it is a gas guzzler and relatively expensive to tax and insure. Also quite expensive to repair when it goes wrong. So I need to change it for a more economical car. Once the debt is paid in Feb next year I plan to save as quickly as possible for a replacement. I think I can get something suitable for about £5K. The savings on fuel and running will mean that it will pay for itself in 2 years.
    Have a great day all!
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Good mormimg diary and all,
    Today received a letter from CC company 2 to confirm that the second account is closed. Just the other one to go and I will have no CC accounts left open. It was my bday this week and was given some money by in-laws. Going to look for a bargain winter coat later this morning, it has been really cold this week! Looking forward to seeing DS later on and hearing all his news.
    Have a great money saving weekend all!
  • glass_half_full
    Options

I’m shuffling towards pay day which I think will be Friday and just about staying in budget so aiming for a decent payment to debt at the end of the week. It was nice to see DS at the weekend and to hear all his news. He seems happy and enjoying his course, making friends and settling in. Bought a winter coat in a sale thanks to some money from in-laws for birthday so no longer freezing on the way to work. Christmas will be quite simple this year. Christmas Day will be me and OH plus DS and possibly his girlfriend. They are both vegan, so last year we did a roast cauliflower thanks to a Jamie Oliver recipe. Presents wise we long ago agreed with family to stop buying for each others’ children so now just a few gifts to get. OH and I are giving each other a token present this year. Have budgeted £100 for DS probably give him cash to go towards a second hand phone, that is the main cost this year.

Have a great day all!
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    A bit tired but my fault since I stayed up to watch the cricket so got to bed at 2am, great start for England so far. On the money front, will make a payment of £1000 to the debt this week. The budget has been fairly ‘normal’ this month no unexpected expenses, touch wood, so far. Groceries continue to be lower. We seem to be getting better at using up what we buy and I think there is less food waste as well.
    Have a great day all!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Early night for you then. Another £1000 is amazing, you are so near the finish line.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Looks like your DFD is getting closer.

Once the debt is gone you could do a MFW diary. We thought like you we would not want to work until 66 which is our State pension age so overpaid the mortgage, pensions and invested and OH retired last year at 58 and I retire next month aged 57. Getting to that point is much easier when you don't have debt.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure